Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 tundra xsp dbl cab and I was looking online and saw a block off kit for the cold air pump and was wondering if anyone on here has used it and was there anything I should know about it.

1700.00 is just not in the budget right now. any help would be appreciated

4.7 motor 135000 miles

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Holy ****!

$1,700. for a cold air pump? As in, an emissions-related pump?

Why so much?

Please tell me that includes labor--and if so, how much is labor? Sheesh.

Also, I don't want to get your hopes up, but in many, if not all, states, emissions-related equipment can have a far-longer warranty period than the rest of the truck. I know, from working at stealerships, that sometimes, staff will *cough* "forget" to inform the customer of this fact, so that the Tech gets paid the (significantly-higher) "cash rate," rather than what warranty-work pays.

I believe I recall some components being warrantied out to 150,000 mi, (or more?) but I could be wrong, and there is also a "time out" provision, like all warranties, that you are probably past.

But it wouldn't hurt to check--and let us know, in case someone else might benefit.

Also, I think, but am too lazy to check, that the back of your Owner's Manual may contain such information, possibly from NHTSA/EPA, etc....

ToyotasForever

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
147 Posts
I put one of those kits in my 06 and it worked great!! A lot cheaper and easier than replacing the bad pumps. I didnt even install the block-off plates so it was even easier.

·
Registered
73 Posts
What are the symptoms of a bad cold air pump on emissions systems in the 2006 engine? God I hope that’s not failing on mine in any context. Does the engine run terrible ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
It sounds like a a vacuum cleaner just turned on under your hood. You'll know when it happens cause that sound will be completely new. When it first happened to me i searched quite a bit on the cause of the problem. From what i've read it could be anything from moisture getting into the pumps and causing corrosion or sometimes the plastic impellers will break off causing the motors to jam or sound like it's a blender. For the cost and time to R&R the system, and over-ride kit is a much better option.

·
Registered
73 Posts
In my 2006 tundra when I first start it, it sounds like a vacuum cleaner or a loud blender. Others are saying that’s just what the normal noise is. The noise goes away after 90 seconds or less. Cold start situation.

Is that an early symptom noise? Only during a cold start situation.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It sure sounds like that's your problem. I know the first time i heard the noise i didnt know what the hell it was and checked to make sure nothing was caught in the serp. belt.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It sure sounds like that's your problem. I know the first time i heard the noise i didnt know what the hell it was and checked to make sure nothing was caught in the serp. belt. And i think you let it go long enough a CEL should come on.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The thermostatic clutch on the fan is engaged at cold start. Hopefully that’s all it is. But am going to ask about the COLD AIR PUMP to see if that is an issue. Certainly do not want to deal with that issue in another 20000 miles.

Am going to be towing a RV trailer for about a couple years with this truck. So would like certainty that know problems are suspected and considered before I get to the middle of USA with unknown mechanics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.