Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,342 Posts
There probably isnt much difference. If you go the K&N route, remove the charcoal filter in the stock airbox. The charcoal filter is an emissions thang. Removing it wont hurt your engine. I've heard alot of people dont like the K&N drop in because they just dont seem to filter that well.

·
"The Antagonizer"
12,046 Posts
What AJUSA said. The stock intake tube has some restriction in it as the aftermarket intake tubes do not so it gets more airflow. The aftermarket intakes have a really mean growl to them and better take-off's and WOT. Some guys will say "aftermarket intakes are a total waste of money" and some will say "aftermarket intakes are awesome". I personally love my Volant CAI and would honestly do it all over again if I had the chance, my stock intake is just laying around collecting dust in the garage haha.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Depends on the driver if it will be beneficial or not. There are more bonuses than power when it comes to intake systems for me.

Personally with my AirAid system, I love the ease of cleaning the filter. Also the optional pre-filter I run in the desert keeps all the slit out, better than a OE paper filter. When in the sand wash, that extra WOT power and TQ helps keep the rear tires shooting up big rooster tails and the sound is super cool. Video to come.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I run a drop in afe pro dry S and after I reset the engine I can tell a difference in sound. It seems to run a bit smoother. I haven't had a chance to check my mpg since I threw on bigger tires. It seems to be about the same as when I had stock tires on which was around 17-18. I don't drive aggressively either.

·
Registered
256 Posts
There probably isnt much difference. If you go the K&N route, remove the charcoal filter in the stock airbox. The charcoal filter is an emissions thang. Removing it wont hurt your engine. I've heard alot of people dont like the K&N drop in because they just dont seem to filter that well.
If the K&N doesn't filter well, wouldn't it be a good idea to leave the charcoal filter in to catch what the K&N doesn't?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looking to purchase soon. Does oil from oiled filter cause problems with maf? What is diff between oil and dry, not the obvious answer. Do the dry ones need to be replaced and cant be cleaned or is the oiled one just to catch more debris?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts