Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys need your help...I walk outside today and the elderly neighbors' son walks up to me and started a "neighborly conversation". Some how we get on the subject of trucks b/c my new slate Tundra CM 5.7 SR5 in the driveway and he basically took a shot at my week old truck. He says "those Toyota Trucks are just girlie. He then proceeds to tell me that all Toyota did was wait for everyone else to come out with their trucks and then copy the Dodge Ram...blahblahblah...I just sat there thinking surely this guy was simply ignorant. He then starts on his crewmax Hemi Dodge and how the engine is "tweaked and punched out"...whatever that means.

Well make a long story short I pretended that I was utterly impressed with what he had done to his Dodge (exhaust,CAI,"tweaked n punched out"???) and asked him if he would run the tundra just so that I could see how bad he would beat my 412 mile old bone stock Crewmax...hahaha...well lets just say he did not come back to his dad's house.

I have a low 12 second Mustang on the bottle and I am not saying that this truck is anything like a bottle fed Mustang...but for a big, heavy truck this thing is simply impressive. I look forward to adding a couple of bolt on goodies...

Let me know of some of your own stories in reference to these impressive trucks...

Until then...

E3

·
Registered
696 Posts
"tweaked and punched out"...whatever that means.
Great story. Many of us have posted similar incidents concerning loud mouthed owners of big three Americana, and made them eat humble pie; or in your neighbor's case, I-Force pie, as well with our "girlie" trucks.

A lot of us here are converts, as we're open minded enough to recognize a kick-ass muscle truck when we see/drive one. I myself traded in a supercharged Dodge Ram for my 07 Tundra, and couldn't be happier as I get a huge grin on my face every time I hit the gas.

I think a lot of the trash talk stems from pure jealousy in many cases. :)

By the way, "Tweaked and punched out" usually means the engine has been custom tuned, bored & stroked. In this guys case that sounds like big talk; a.k.a. a lie, because if he was going to the expense of having his engine bored & stroked, he also would have had it blue-printed, ports polished, race cam installed, etc. etc. and he would have blown you off easily; yes, even in the Tundra.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This Past Thursday night I had a friend from work that was talking the same crap meet me at the local strip. He has a 06 Dodge Single Cab HEMI. The only upgrade that I know of was the Flowmaster Exhaust.
I have the TRD CAI and the Borla Exhaust on my 2007 Tundra Limited DC.
I spanked him all the way through the 1/8 mile and he just past me at the 1000 ft mark. We ran 2 times and the results were the same both times.

I had to run with the Auto Limited Slip engaged as with the VCS system disabled, I had terrible wheel hop.
I believe the weight difference was the deciding factor. the Single Cab is under 4,000 lbs while the Double cab is close to 6000 lbs with the cover I have on it.

I would like to take a shot at a Quad Cab Ram just to see the difference.

One other advantage he had was tires. He had a old set of soft compound tires that he mounted on some old wheels and he lit them up in the burnout box. He got great traction at launch.
On the other hand, I had the factory 18 in Bridgestone Duelers. I also only turned the over a few times in the box as I have to drive on these until I get my 20 inch wheels next year.

My times were consistemt 14.7 in the 1/4 and consistent 9.4 in the 1/8.

His best run was a 14.4 while his worst was a 15.3. I huge span between best and worst.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I hate cockheads like that:rolleyes: They just show their own ass and I just laugh knowing that our trucks can beat any other stock truck, minus an SRT or Lightning (which I guess is a close run).

My father-in-law gives me sh*t everytime we see him for me continuing to buy Toyota's, and especially this Tundra. He'll STFU when I pull his 3 ton Suburban out of the ditch:D

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think the Ram has one but I know the Tundra has a HEMI.:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree, I think the weight difference was the main difference between my Tundra and the Single Cab Ram I raced.
If 3rd gear had not shifted in, I may have got him anyway. It was like when the tranny shifted into 3rd, he pulled up on me.
Oh well, I guess I will wait for a programmer in my area before I put him in his place. I believe if I can find 0.2 seconds and run 14.5, he will be mine as I had room for improvement off the tree as well. It has been a while since I took a pass down the strip.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i wonder if he has ever really looked at his truck.......my uncle has one and i've driven it a few times...they are the biggest pieces of crap ive ever seen, the interior is horrible, i could not imagine driving one on a regular basis, and their back seat is about the same size as my old colorado. my 06 dc is soooo much more comfortable it dosent compare.......i can imagine someone comparing it to a 2gen cm. it like comparing apples to prunes now isnt it.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Well for starters those new so called "Hemi" engines are about 1/3 the size of the old 426 Hemi's in the 1960's. Now if he had an original 1960's Hemi he might have been able to at least stay close to your Tundra.

Dodge trucks are pieces of crap no matter how you try to "fix" them up.

I can't wait to get my Tundra in January. Its being built, and according to the dealership they're about 4-5 weeks behind.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Well for starters those new so called "Hemi" engines are about 1/3 the size of the old 426 Hemi's in the 1960's.
Yeah I hear the new Hemi's are real weak in the bottom end too, which is why I didn't bother buying one and opted for the 5.7 I-Force. I never did like the sound of dropping rods and punching holes through oil pans while going balls out.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a 05 Quad Cab 4X4 Ram that runs 14.5's but with a 100 hp shot of nitrous! One thing about the hemis, they've been out long enough to have a lot of goodies aftermarket, tuners, headers, several CAI's and Cat backs. Bone stock the Tundra will beat the Ram in the quarter mile. My Ram weighs 5985 lbs and has the 20 sticky GY HP's. I can tell you the new Rams are not junk, mine has been 100% troublefree in 76,000 miles, and there are Rams running in the low 12's possibly 11's by now. 392 stroker kits are available too. My Ram runs 15.5 stock, how about it, any 4X4 EXRA Cab Tundra run better? My truck is a dog out of the hole 2.3 sec 60' times.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a 05 Quad Cab 4X4 Ram that runs 14.5's but with a 100 hp shot of nitrous! One thing about the hemis, they've been out long enough to have a lot of goodies aftermarket, tuners, headers, several CAI's and Cat backs. Bone stock the Tundra will beat the Ram in the quarter mile. My Ram weighs 5985 lbs and has the 20 sticky GY HP's. I can tell you the new Rams are not junk, mine has been 100% troublefree in 76,000 miles, and there are Rams running in the low 12's possibly 11's by now. 392 stroker kits are available too. My Ram runs 15.5 stock, how about it, any 4X4 EXRA Cab Tundra run better? My truck is a dog out of the hole 2.3 sec 60' times.
Check out the 1/4 mile tread. Lots of mid 15's stock;)

·
Registered
279 Posts
I never get anything, I dont get it. Ive only had positive comments and I have yet to have anybody want to race me (aside from like, 94 Explorers w/ a 16 year old at the wheel). Ah well, saves me gas.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ran a RC Hemi just last nite, not sure what he's had done but it wasn't much of a challenge. Stock for stock you should smoke any HEMI out there. Heck, I've even beat a Charger R/T

1 - 16 of 16 Posts