Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
"The Closer"
10,387 Posts
So where exactly do they mount the CNG tanks for the conversion?
my system is not a cng but a propane system, the placing of the tanks will probably be the same i guess...

one in the bed...

and another one in the place where the spare tire was mounted...

:D dikkie :D

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Dikkie, never knew you were running propane. How's that working for you? Any huge power difference? My uncle used to drive for a propane delivery company and they ran their trucks right out of the main propane storage tank. He said the truck had plenty of power, and never had any problems.

This sounds like a good investment if I ever get the money to do so I think it would be nice to have more than one fuel source, what would be better is just regular propane that way I could fill up anywhere that sells propane here locally. Or is there a special place for that system like the CNG?

·
"The Closer"
10,387 Posts
bill,

i was about to hit the deck ( 4:10 here ) but now here i go again... :D

the power difference is very very little... in percentage i think it loses only about 5% of it's power, it's hardly noticeable with almost 400 horses under the hood..!!

propane can be obtained at almost all the gasstations in the netherlands that are not located near houses or shops, propane stations are not allowed within a range of ( i think ) half a mile from those... on the highways over 70 percent of the gasstations has propane...

the conversion is a big money saver in our country, propane costs about 2.5 times less than gas and the conversion costed me about 3,000 dollar...

i get a lower mileage on propane, roughly between 10 tot 12 miles/gallon but with prices of gas at us$ 9.00 per gallon and for propane us$ 3.70 per gallon you can understand it's a no brainer to convert..!! :lol5:

:D dikkie :D

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Geez Dickie, I don't complain about the $4.09/gal I'm paying for Premium non-ethanol gas here in Idaho then. However, I can't afford the conversion right now, but that $3k is a lot closer within my reach. I would be willing to do it if I had the money just to give local reports on it even. Either conversion I'm sure with fuel prices differing would be kind of an area choice depending on what's cheaper. What we really need is just an old multi-fuel engine option that we could run whatever we wanted without doing a bunch of conversion kits LOL.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I would love to do a CNG conversion. Since I like to camp, we have a lack of station problem in WV.
I know your feeling. I live in southwestern VA, about 15 miles from WV, right in the middle of a gazzillion natural gas wells. No CNG stations here. CNX gas just put in a station for THEIR vehicles, I do believe, as I sold them all the block and gravel for the job. Maybe in the future. It would be awesome to have both fuels - extended range and good miles per dollar :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I worked as a mechanic for Canadian Linen Supply in the early 90's and their entire fleet was LPG. Done right, the conversions are all awesome.

1. You're no longer burning a solvent that thins the oil on the cylinder walls.
  2. You're no longer burning something that condenses on the walls of the combustion chamber or generate particulate.
  3. Very few additives work well in CNG or LPG fuels, meaning the fuel is less likely to be diluted with stuff like MTBE.
  4. Gaseous fuels are much harder to compression-ignite, so their effective octane rating is around 100.
  5. You can advance the timing much, much further because of the above.
  6. There is almost no difference between the emissions of a hot or cold engine on LPG.
Sadly, in Canada they now sin-tax LPG and CNG to the point that it's the same price as gasoline. You still get the engine life benefits, but that's generally not enough to cover the cost of the conversion.

I'd love to get a LPG set-up for my Tundra.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts