Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed recently in my 2012 Tundra DC that when I come to a stop and start up again or even sometimes when I turn I'll hear and feel a thunk under the seat, almost as if it isn't seated correctly on the rails.

Have you guys heard this? Is it just a product of some fairly cheap seats? Other than this I love the truck.

· Registered
114 Posts
Same issue and same truck for me. I thought maybe the bolts were loose from when I pulled the seat out to wire a subwoofer and strobe lights. One of the bolts was loose so I tightened it up, but I think I may have heard it again yesterday, I'll have to pay closer attention to that

· Registered
2,401 Posts
I've noticed recently in my 2012 Tundra DC that when I come to a stop and start up again or even sometimes when I turn I'll hear and feel a thunk under the seat, almost as if it isn't seated correctly on the rails.

Have you guys heard this? Is it just a product of some fairly cheap seats? Other than this I love the truck.
I had exactly this problem. I ended up getting the seat frame replaced.
In my case, it was a worn or broken worm gear for the seat adjustment (the gear comes as a frame assembly, so they swapped the whole seat frame out).

I had difficulty replicating the problem at the dealership. I took it 3 times, and of course it never did it for them. I'd brake, and the seat would clunk and move as though a bolt was loose. Not every time, but a lot of the time. Rocking the seat made no noise. It was as though the seat was loose, but not all the time. I finally discovered lowering and raising the seat would exhibit the clunk on the upward motion (whilst sat in the seat, it didn't do if if the seat had no weight on it).

Try adjusting the seat up/down or backwards/forwards and see if the seat jolts at a certain position. This indicates the worm gear is faulty. You'll have a lot better experience at the dealership if you can show them the fault on demand.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called the dealer today and they said to bring it in and let them take a look. I need to practice like you and figure out the best way to replicate the noise. I'll let you know what they say when I get back, might be a few days though

· Registered
697 Posts
My passenger side seat does this when hitting bumps on the road small pot hoes it rattles. Thought it was me but I can grabe the seat on the side and push it back n forth it rattles. I'll have to see what they say hmm.

· Registered
403 Posts
Mine too :-(

· I Kick Hippies
1,274 Posts
My passenger side seat does this when hitting bumps on the road small pot hoes it rattles. Thought it was me but I can grabe the seat on the side and push it back n forth it rattles. I'll have to see what they say hmm.
Same here. It's a power seat, suspecting slop in the gear/track mating. Annoying for a $47k+ truck.

Although I only hear it because everything else is so tight & quiet.

My fix for now is the volume knob :D

· Registered
293 Posts
I am actually getting my drivers seat frame replaced during the 10,000 mile service next Friday. Dealership said they have replaced seat frames on Tundras and Camry's and it has fixed the issue. Mine started popping and creaking around 500 miles. I also have the manual seats.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
482 Posts
I recently started noticing the driver's seat has more play. When getting into the truck and adjusting myself, I can feel slight back/forth movement.......like the notch in the track is too big or something.

· Registered
293 Posts
Had my drivers seat frame replaced free of charge during my 10,000 mile service last Friday. Has not popped or creaked since :) They said it had something to do with the two rivets on the back end of the rails.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had my drivers seat frame replaced free of charge during my 10,000 mile service last Friday. Has not popped or creaked since :) They said it had something to do with the two rivets on the back end of the rails.

Duke, how did you reproduce the noise when you took it in? Im afraid once I get there I won't be able to get it to make the sound

· Registered
293 Posts
Duke, how did you reproduce the noise when you took it in? Im afraid once I get there I won't be able to get it to make the sound
I could either do it sitting in the seat and shift myself back and forth, rocking kinda, or standing outside the truck grab ahold of the front of the seat with one hand and push on the middle of the upright part of the seat and make the seat pop as well. Hope this helps....

· Registered
69 Posts
My 2013 CM driver's seat just started clunking and popping at 800 miles. I guess it is back to the dealer. :(

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.