Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can someone please help me out on best way to clean these TSS black wheels. So far I just wash truck wipe dry wheels & micro fiber towel to "polish". I know when I had chrome wheels before I used mothers chrome polish, is there a polish for black wheels so brake dust and grime wipe off easily. Thanks

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hi, can someone please help me out on best way to clean these TSS black wheels. So far I just wash truck wipe dry wheels & micro fiber towel to "polish". I know when I had chrome wheels before I used mothers chrome polish, is there a polish for black wheels so brake dust and grime wipe off easily. Thanks

I bought this...Sonax Wheel Cleaner and Speed Master Jr. brush Combo. It seems to work well on my black wheels.
Sonax – Speed Master Jr. Wheel Combo

You can also put a car wax or sealant on wheels if you want....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I'll check out that web site. Hopefully a few other black TSS wheel guys chime in. I'm really looking for a compound like mothers chrome polish to wipe on my black rims let sit & wipe & micro fiber off. Anybody tried DP wheel glaze? Is it safe

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yep wax or sealant. Admittedly I've never waxed or sealed mine although I've wanted too since the day I got it... The TSS wheels have so many cracks and crevices I guess I just get lazy after doing the rest of the truck. I did seal my buddies Grand Cherokee Altitude wheels with Powerlock a few weeks ago and they looked freakin awesome.

What I do most of the time is use Adams Super VRT and dilute it with water in a spray bottle. Spray the tires to shine them up and then go back over the rims with a microfiber to even out what has gotten on the rims. It will make those black wheels look new again and it lasts a good while. I've been doing this for over two years on my black rims and they still look new with no ill effects.

As for cleaning them I use a product from car pro called wheelie clean that's non acidic and safe for all wheels. I get it at a local detail shop for like $20 a gallon and it's good stuff. I have used Sonax and I really like it, but it's pretty costly for what it is and how much I go through it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
DO NOT USE MEGUIARS HOT RIM ALL WHEEL CLEANER! This RUINED my rims. Stained them and stripped off the clear coat. Standard rims, not black but own a '12 TSS.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the TSS / Ultra Gunners and I spray them with 1:1 diluted Simple Green to wash them using a microfiber sponge then dry with air compressor. Once dry I use Chemical Guys Matte Finish Cleaner/Sealant it leaves them clean with smooth matte finish and each wash the brake dust comes off easier and easier. Make sure your wheels are cool to the touch before trying to clean them, I wait and do them last.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guy I'm new here, I read alot of the forums all the time and about this black tss rim thing. I have read that it's ok to wax the matte black tss wheels but if you do then use a synthetic based wax. I was messing my wheels up constantly using mcguiars hot foam shine and didnt notice it at first then I switch over to my chemical guys butter wet wax and it worked great but it's not synthetic so it broke down fast so now I'm using nufinish once a year car polish and I love it. It's not to abrasive and it's pure synthetic so it can handle the high heat from the rotors better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts