Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

clanking sound from driveline

6K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Judahtzu 
#1 ·
For the last 5000 miles or so, have heard a strange metallic clanking sound when loading/unloading the driveline. It wasn't the typical thunk/clank when accelerating from a standstill, or when coming to a stop. It was when at speed, and getting on/off the gas pedal. At first I assumed it was my hitch. It started happening more frequently and getting louder. Took the hitch out, and all of the stuff in the truck bed out. The noise continued to get louder and happening more often. I eliminated every possibility I could think of. I mounted the license plate better, made sure the spare tire was tight, checked for loose pieces underneath the truck. Got to the point where it happened every time I got on/off the gas. It is currently at the dealer. They think it is the drive shaft. They said the noise seems to transfer from the front to the rear, when letting off/getting on the gas. Hopefully this fixes it. Will let the group know when the noise is resolved.

#4 ·
Yes, when they replace your driveshaft it will come complete to the dealer with the ujoints already in the tubing, it will come complete with the center bearing and slip shaft as well. The pinion is what connects the driveshaft to the differential, when that pinion bearing goes bad is spins with lots of slop and makes a grinding noise and will even give you a vibration.

#5 ·
I have seen a few driveshafts come into my shop off these Tundras, There not using the Japanese design shaft on the 2007 and up Tundras anymore, now there using Dana/spicer driveshafts which I dont think are as good as the jap design shafts. The spicers are what they use in the Fords, chevy's and some Dodge. It's a very Americanized vehicle now. It's still a good product and I'm sure they will get in fixed right for you. Good luck.

#6 ·
thx axles etc! The sevice guy showed me his computer, list was $1900 for the driveshaft. They sure are proud of it.

Not really getting grinding or vibration noises. Just the metallic clanking. Sometimes it is a single sound, other times makes the noise repeatedly.

#8 ·
The dealership changed the drive shaft yesterday. That didn't get rid of the noise. They put the "chassis ear" on and determined that it was my right air bag making the noise. They didn't charge me for the diagnosis.

I had just added an extra leaf spring to the rear suspension. Glad they didn't blame it on that. (That was the first place they listened with the ear). Must have not gotten the air bags tight enough when they were reinstalled. Going to tighten them up tonight and will post again. I also need to post pics of the added leaf spring. The ride isn't too firm, but got rid of the waterbed rocking sensation, and no more bed bounce. I needed it for towing my trailer.

#10 ·
So, picked up my truck. Put more air in the bags and drove home. Still making the noise. Took the air bags out. Still making the noise. Back at the dealer. They say they still hear the noise in the same relative position above the right spring perch. They thought maybe the shocks (stock Bilstein). They took the shocks off. Still made the noise. They determined it was the rear end. So now have a entire rear carrier unit on order. Should be in today, and should be getting my truck back. Think they are replacing the entire rear end except for brake components. Hopefully this fixes it.

#14 ·
my truck just started making that same noise, i checked all my u-joints,rear brakes, all the bearings, including center support bearing and everything seems ok. im thinking the noise is in my transfercase.i have 28000 miles on my 2007 5.7 dc 4x4 and they had to replace the rear diff and center support bearing at 15000 miles.

#15 ·
Got my truck back friday night. They changed the rear diff/third member/rear carrier (Whatever you want to call it). The noise is gone. I looked through the tech's notes. They found excessive play in the pinion gear. Hopefully I won't have any more issues with this. Did a nice 4 wheel jaunt this weekend, went from the crown king to pleasant to I-17 via Table Mesa Rd. This road has really gotten rougher in the last few years.

#18 ·
I’m really happy to find this thread. Not because I’m happy about your misfortune but because I’ve been tracking a similar noise which has gotten more frequent for three years. It used to be just here and there. Always unpredictable but a pattern developed. Sometimes it would clank for a week and then it would take a month off. Lately it’s been consistent. And although the sound happens at many other times it’s mostly between 34-50mph... when I touch the gas, one clank. When I let go, two clanks (sometimes followed by a series of quick pops). I’ve had it to four mechanics (I don’t trust dealers at all after some previous experience ((and I don’t think they hire “better” mechanics))) and none of them could ever hear it because the truck would act nice for them. I changed the rear diff oil twice this week and it was worse each time. Metal flakes galore. Apparently you can’t rebuild them because nobody offers replacement guts for a Toyota and the dealer wants 1700 for the rear diff. I’m not convinced that’s the problem because I often feel like I hear it from the front. But it’s a Toyota so I drive anyway and hope for the best. Took it to windy caves in Moab last weekend without a hiccup 😂 but I’m really wanting to figure this out....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.