Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
just had a guy at work ask me if my tundra had a chevy engine.. i said "HELL NO" He tried to argue with me and this thread shut him down fast.. awesome info as always guys!!!

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
So I was telling a friend today that I am looking at Tundra's and that I would never own another Chevy. He told me that he heard that the Tundra has a Chevy engine? He said it is a Chevy 350. Is there any truth to that? Just asking for my info, I don't want to start a war.
You need smarter friends :)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
So I was telling a friend today that I am looking at Tundra's and that I would never own another Chevy. He told me that he heard that the Tundra has a Chevy engine? He said it is a Chevy 350. Is there any truth to that? Just asking for my info, I don't want to start a war.
Well as others have said the answer is "no".

The GM 350 began with two versions; the "Chevy" version and the "Olds Rocket" version during the 1960's. GM even got caught in "another lie" by installing Chevy engines in the Olds 88 for a couple of years and of course the poop hit the fan when that lie came to light. Those two engines were significantly different and most of the major parts were not interchangeable.

I do not think the GM 350 is offered in cars anymore; but I could be wrong?

It may still be built for marine use; like maybe Indmar Marine. This I believe is still the GM engine:

5.7L Monsoon

IMHO the GM 350's in boats are like super awesome.

I think at one time there were some Toyota 5.7's put in boats?

Wow the world has changed in 70 years!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Side Note: My 68 LeMans had the Chevy 350 with two speed power glide in it. LOL Pontiac did not have a 350 so they stole it from Chevy, they were unable to obtain the "King Rocket 350" from Olds. LOL

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
All of GM except Caddy had there own 350, not just chevy and Olds. Just because Toyota has the same size engine, 5.7, you get idiots that think it must be a chevy motor. Tell them that the old camaros had ford 302 in them. They believe that.
The chevy is the only small block 350 of GM. The others used the same block just different displacements.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts

Sounds like something a yuper would say.

·
Registered
225 Posts
This is the first I've ever heard this. If someone told me that, I think I would just ask them if Dodge's Hemi is a Chevy 350 too.

·
Registered
139 Posts
A 6.2ls or a turbo 5.3ls engine backed by a 4l80e transmission in my tundra would be nice. If only i had a endless supply of money.

·
Registered
6 Posts
just had a guy at work ask me if my tundra had a chevy engine.. i said "HELL NO" He tried to argue with me and this thread shut him down fast.. awesome info as always guys!!!
Sorry, you're wrong. Where does Toyota build that block? No manufacturer makes the exact same size engine, Ford had the 351. My friend works for GM, and they also fix tundras. He rebuilt the Chevy motor in it. So enjoy that Chevy, I have the same size, you have the pre vortex one, from the 80's

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is the first I've ever heard this. If someone told me that, I think I would just ask them if Dodge's Hemi is a Chevy 350 too.
My friend rebuilt one, sorry you never heard of it. Car manufacturers use each other's parts on occasion for decades.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Toyota 5.7 engine is exactly 347.8 cubic inches, the Chevy 5.7 engine is exactly 349.849 cubic inches, the Dodge 5.7 Hemi is exactly 345 cubic inches...hmmm, we seem to have a quandary.

·
Registered
13,789 Posts
The Nissan GTR uses the same GM 3.8 liter V6 that they used in the Grand Am... I mean, it's a 3.8, so it must be a GM engine, right? To go further down the rabbit hole, the same engine was also used in the Ford Windstar, the Dodge Grand Caravan, and in the Buick Grand National...

I guess it is just a general motor :ROFLMAO:😄

41 - 58 of 58 Posts