Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Do you know the Knights who say ni?
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.
:lol: One of my favorite movies......

"What are you going to do, bleed on me?"

"Now go away or I will taunt you a second time"

·
Registered
157 Posts
What I had heard about the engine is that Toyota had gotten the pattent off of chevy for the old 350 in exchange for a 4 cyl pattent that Chevy wanted. Then Toyota redesigned some things on the 350 with the new goodies which might explain the dif bore size?? Wasn't the old 350 carburated? So it would need updating! I'm no motor head but this is just what someone had told me

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
the only thing the chevy and toyota have in common engine wise is that they are both referred to as a 5.7L
the only gm we have that i know of is the wonderful stock radios

·
Registered
351 Posts
I had heard rumors a long time ago, when the T100 came out, that GM would supply a small block V8, but it never happened. I did find an article on that.

As far as the Tundra's, never heard of that either.

Toyota_t100 encyclopedia topics | Reference.com
I think this is the answer, rumor from a long time ago. Anyway, the 5.7 Chevy engine has been out of production for a long time. Current 1500 series GM trucks come with 4.8 and 5.3 V-8 engines. They are still 16 valve pushrod engines.

·
5,256 Posts
What I had heard about the engine is that Toyota had gotten the pattent off of chevy for the old 350 in exchange for a 4 cyl pattent that Chevy wanted. Then Toyota redesigned some things on the 350 with the new goodies which might explain the dif bore size?? Wasn't the old 350 carburated? So it would need updating! I'm no motor head but this is just what someone had told me
The original 350 chevy engine (small block V8) was introduced in 1967 as an optional egine in the first Camaro (namely the SS model). It would be used the following year in the Nova. In 1969, it became used in multiple vehicles. Yes, the first 350's were carbureted with the Rochester "Dualjet" (2GV) two-barrel carburetor.

·
13,742 Posts
Any patent that Chevy has on their 350 block would have already expired. Design patents only last 14 years. So if another company wanted the 350 block in their truck, they could just copy the original and wouldn't owe anyone anything. The Tundra engine is a dual overhead cam 32 valve aluminum block. It has very few if any similarities with a Chevy 350.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Any patent that Chevy has on their 350 block would have already expired. Design patents only last 14 years. So if another company wanted the 350 block in their truck, they could just copy the original and wouldn't owe anyone anything. The Tundra engine is a dual overhead cam 32 valve aluminum block. It has very few if any similarities with a Chevy 350.
The old ZR-1 Vette was an all aluminum block dual overhead cam if i remember correctly? Not saying that they share the same displacement as the Tundra, but the idea is alike

·
13,742 Posts
The old ZR-1 Vette was an all aluminum block dual overhead cam if i remember correctly? Not saying that they share the same displacement as the Tundra, but the idea is alike
The old ZR1 engine was designed by Lotus and had 4 overhead cams. The Tundra engine still puts out more than the first LT5 engine did.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
The old ZR1 engine was designed by Lotus and had 4 overhead cams. The Tundra engine still puts out more than the LT5 engine did.
Four in each head? I thought it was two in each side. It is a 32 valve motor though. You are right about Lotus designing the motor. The Tundra put out 25BHP more than the ZR-1. Either way it is the closest design that Chevy has to the Toyota. I would not complain about either one

·
13,742 Posts
Yeah, they used 4 cams so that 2 could be "shut down" on partial throttle and the engine would just run on 16 valves to save fuel. Then at WOT, it would use all 32 valves.

Reactions: Who8mySandwich

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Good to know. Its been a while since i've looked under the hood of one of those cars.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
the chevy original 350, the one that came out in the 60's as opposed to the 90's started as the 55 265 ci, they just upped displacement up to the 400.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
So I was telling a friend today that I am looking at Tundra's and that I would never own another Chevy. He told me that he heard that the Tundra has a Chevy engine? He said it is a Chevy 350. Is there any truth to that? Just asking for my info, I don't want to start a war.
Toyota Builds their own engines. So no Toyota's don't have a Chevy Engine.

Toyota uses either a 4.7L (now a 4.6L) V8 or the 5.7L V8 in the Tundra and the Seqouia SUV.

The Chevy engines are the 4.6L, 5.3L, or a 6.0L V8's. All 3 of those engines produce less HP, and Torque than the Tundra's 5.7L V8. The 5.3L V8 has 315HP, both of the other engines are in the high 200's for HP. Plus all 3 of those engines that Chevy uses aren't exactly fuel efficient. The Tundra gets better fuel economy (that is if you can resist the temptation to floor the accelerator every time you take off).

·
Registered
575 Posts
Toyota is a 5.7L Dual Overhead Cam and GM is 5.3L regular engine, main difference. Toyota 381 HP/ 401 Ft-lbs Torque, GM 315 HP and 355-365 Ft-lbs. I think GM is not stupid to give better engine to Toyota and use lesser for themselves. Traditionally Toyota uses Denso parts, GM uses Bosch & delphi.

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
Toyota's engine plant is in Alabama. Stock Delco radio's is the only thing we have of theirs and we can see why they aren't worth the writing on the radio. Also this guy may have thought NUMMI was part of where Toyota and GM were together in making vehicles at the same plant. Which GM pulled out since the bailout and now Toyota calling it quits also.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts