Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was telling a friend today that I am looking at Tundra's and that I would never own another Chevy. He told me that he heard that the Tundra has a Chevy engine? He said it is a Chevy 350. Is there any truth to that? Just asking for my info, I don't want to start a war.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Interesting? I don’t know, but in today’s world that would not surprise me. Isnt the 6 lug patterns from the first gen and Chevys match?

I know my 4.7L can crack the shit out of the Chevy 5.3L:D

·
"I'm your Huckleberry"
2,204 Posts
I don't think that's true.......????????

·
Registered
678 Posts
our tundra engine with a 94mm bore (all V-8's) is no 350
the 350 has a 3.875" bore where ours is 3.7"
have your friend explain that.

·
"The General"
4,172 Posts
our tundra engine with a 84mm bore (all V-8's) is no 350
the 350 has a 3.875" bore where ours is approx 3.3"
have your friend explain that.
does toyota add material to the block?

toyota has no reason to steal old technology from gm
I don't believe the Tundra has any components from GM in it; however, it wouldn't be the strangest thing in the world if GM and Toyota shared technology or parts considering their past business relationships.

Also, no one suggested that Toyota stole technology from GM.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
toyota has no reason to steal old technology from gm
I didn't say "Steal" and I don't want to start a thread going that direction. I was just trying to see if anyone had also heard of this and if it is or isn't true.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
No, the Toyota 5.7L (5663 cc) is not a Chevy 350. Chevy small blocks aren't offered in a 3.7 in. bore or a 346 ci. displacement. The engine is a Toyota original engine (aluminum block) and is only offered in the Tundra, Sequoia, Land Cruiser 200 series, and the Lexus LX 570.

·
13,742 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
No, the Toyota 5.7L (5663 cc) is not a Chevy 350. Chevy small blocks aren't offered in a 3.7 in. bore or a 346 ci. displacement. The engine is a Toyota original engine (aluminum block) and is only offered in the Tundra, Sequoia, Land Cruiser 200 series, and the Lexus LX 570.
gah... just found where i got that info and indeed all tundra engines from the v-6 all the way to the 5.7 have a 94mm bore...
you are correct and I am edited :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
HECK NO!!:bs:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Probably the only thing the Toyota 5.7 and the Chevy 350 have in common is that they're both V-8's.

·
13,742 Posts
which engine has a 3.7 bore?
one thing that stood out to me as being cool was that all 3 v-8 iforce toyota blocks used in tundra, the 4.7, 5.7 and now 4.6 share an 84mm Bore
the stroke and differences in head volume is what accounts for the displacment (or so I read in a tech article somewhere between here and there)

not trying to be a dick, i just live and breathe useless info and im bored so figured id ask
The 3UR-FE 5.7L engine has a 3.70" bore (94mm) and the stroke is 4.02" (102.0mm).

See the attached file. It's actually a Land Cruiser file but it's the same engine as in the Tundra.

Attachments

Reactions: sxd45

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Besides, I don't believe that Chevy trucks have a DOHC with with 32 valves....?? If they built a motor like this wouldn't they put it in their own truck?

·
Registered
678 Posts
The 3UR-FE 5.7L engine has a 3.70" bore (94mm) and the stroke is 4.02" (102.0mm).

See the attached file. It's actually a Land Cruiser file but it's the same engine as in the Tundra.
heh, I edited a bit back, I found where I got that info from, I was off by 10mm :eek:

they do all still have the same bore though from the v-6 all the way up!
thats kinda cool.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts

I’m curious Tox, what do you do for a living?

Edit: Since we know that they don't share components, my Honda Passport did have a ton of AC Delco parts in it.

·
13,742 Posts
I’m curious Toxs, what do you do for a living?
There's only one of me.;)

Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is Roger the Shrubber. I arrange, design, and sell shrubberies.

·
"The General"
4,172 Posts
I’m curious Toxs, what do you do for a living?

Edit: Since we know that they don't share components, my Honda Passport did have a ton of AC Delco parts in it.
That makes sense because the Honda Passport was actually an Isuzu Rodeo AND Isuzu and GM were buds back in the day (the S10 pickup was OEM'd by Isuzu as the PUP in the late 90s / early 00s).

The auto industry is very incestuous, which helps drive costs down while providing variety.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
There's only one of me.;)

Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is Roger the Shrubber. I arrange, design, and sell shrubberies.
haha, i have big fingers and hit the "S" key. Cool man you are very knowledgeable

1 - 20 of 58 Posts