Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone
I’ve been having problems with my car almost since the day I got it, I got a 2017 tundra trd. I keep on getting misfires in multiple cylinders, I changed my plugs twice I first put on some MSD’s but the problem didn’t go away so I went and bought a new set of Toyota spark plugs. I changed the coils and cleaned the injectors and yet the misfire does not go away. Would appreciate it if someone could help me out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Misfire is related to fuel, air, spark, timing or compression. If you are getting a P0300 (misfire on multiple cylinders), you are looking for something that would affect all cylinders - not spark plugs or coils which are cylinder specific. Something like bad fuel, bad fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, obstructed air flow, etc...there are lots of possible things so recommend you don't keep replacing different parts without some diagnosis....that's expensive.

What codes are coming up? Need all of them.

Do you have a noticeable misfire or just the CEL? Is misfire constant or does it go in and out. If so, when does it occur? What are the symptoms?

What's the history on the vehicle? This is the 5.7L?

Buckaroo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Misfire is related to fuel, air, spark, timing or compression. If you are getting a P0300 (misfire on multiple cylinders), you are looking for something that would affect all cylinders - not spark plugs or coils which are cylinder specific. Something like bad fuel, bad fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, obstructed air flow, etc...

What codes are coming up? Need all of them.

Do you have a noticeable misfire or just the CEL? Is misfire constant or does it go in and out. If so, when does it occur? What are the symptoms?

What's the history on the vehicle? This is the 5.7L?

Buckaroo

Thank you for your reply
I’m not sure about the codes, gonna take it to a garage and find out. The misfire never went away since 2018 which was one year after I got my vehicle. Every time I get something replaced or changed they rest the codes, and after a while the check engine pops up again. It used to shake a lot while waiting at traffic but once I changed the plugs it stopped. But right now I don’t feel the power in my car and at times I must really push the pedal. I have a normal kn&n air filter on. My fuel economy goes really low sometimes even to 17 which gets me worrying as the engine once started leaking gas from the plugs as the seals were worn out. I would take it to the toyota dealership but in my country toyota do not recognize the tundra as a toyota as it is built in America and not japan. The engine is a 5.7.
Thank you for your help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
So you are seeing lack of power and low gas mileage. You say you are getting 17....17 miles per gallon? if so, that is a good number, not a bad number. I don't know what country you are in....it could be bad fuel quality. What octane and does it contain ethanol? If so, how much ethanol? Is your 5.7L flex fuel or not? Was this Tundra built for the U.S. market? Was it rebuilt before you bought it?

Buckaroo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you are seeing lack of power and low gas mileage. You say you are getting 17....17 miles per gallon? if so, that is a good number, not a bad number. I don't know what country you are in....it could be bad fuel quality. What octane and does it contain ethanol? If so, how much ethanol? Is your 5.7L flex fuel or not? Was this Tundra built for the U.S. market? Was it rebuilt before you bought it?

Buckaroo

17 km which is approx 10 miles pg, I’m located at Bahrain. I used to use 91 octane until the problems started happening, then I switched between 95 and 98 octane as a garage recommended me to do that. I’m not sure if it is flexfuel or not, but it was imported from the US. As for the ethanol I don’t think our gas contains any.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You likely know that the 5.7L was designed to run on 87 octane. People run higher octane gas sometimes in the US - 93 or 94 octane without issue. I don't know what happens with gas at 98 octane. You can enter your VIN(Vehicle Identification Number) in the following site to determine which engine you have (Flex or Not). The VIN is on the drivers side door sticker.

https://www.toyota.com/owners/my-vehicle/vehicle-specification

Buckaroo

·
Registered
486 Posts
You stated you run a K&N filter...I would buy an OE Toyota air filter and clean the mass air flow sensor while you are replacing the filter. If someone over-oiled the K&N, it could have gummed up the mass air flow sensor causing your issues.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You stated you run a K&N filter...I would buy an OE Toyota air filter and clean the mass air flow sensor while you are replacing the filter. If someone over-oiled the K&N, it could have gummed up the mass air flow sensor causing your issues.
Good suggestion....

Buckaroo

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I am having the same problem! Since July my check engine light, 4LO, ABS traction control light have been coming on. This usually sends the truck into limp mode and it runs like crap until I clear the codes. I am getting the PO300/310/304/305. At first if I cleared the codes I was good for a week or so. Now it is all over the board. It might happen 3 days in a row, then not again for a week. Sometimes just the check engine light comes on by itself and then next time I start the truck it is gone and everything is fine. Right now all three lights are flashing and it is running fine. I put in new spark plugs, tried fuel additive to evaporate possible water in the fuel. Some of the thoughts brought up in this thread made me think. I am running a TRD cold air intake that I recently cleaned and oiled. I wonder if I over oiled? Something to look at. Buckaroo if you have any other thoughts I would love to hear them. Sorry Brian I am not trying to hijack your post.

Thanks,

Rich

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am having the same problem! Since July my check engine light, 4LO, ABS traction control light have been coming on. This usually sends the truck into limp mode and it runs like crap until I clear the codes. I am getting the PO300/310/304/305. At first if I cleared the codes I was good for a week or so. Now it is all over the board. It might happen 3 days in a row, then not again for a week. Sometimes just the check engine light comes on by itself and then next time I start the truck it is gone and everything is fine. Right now all three lights are flashing and it is running fine. I put in new spark plugs, tried fuel additive to evaporate possible water in the fuel. Some of the thoughts brought up in this thread made me think. I am running a TRD cold air intake that I recently cleaned and oiled. I wonder if I over oiled? Something to look at. Buckaroo if you have any other thoughts I would love to hear them. Sorry Brian I am not trying to hijack your post.

Thanks,

Rich

It’s all good brother, I went to an car expert today who also works in the Bahrain GP, he recommended me to get my ECU and Computer checked as multiple misfires and power loss is not common. I’m still waiting to get my car back and check the number on the website Bukaroo asked me to and see if the fuel had anything to do with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts