Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have been having troubles with my Tundra 5.7 for a few months now. Randomly the Check engine, 4 LO, ABS traction control lights come on at start up. This has happened 99% of the time when the truck has been sitting for awhile. At this point the truck goes into a limp mode and runs like garbage. After putting it on the computer it seems that the engine is misfiring on random cylinders, mostly #1 . But there is never a code to say what is causing the misfires. I took it to the dealer and they cant figure it out. I happen to work for Toyota and we have technical service training on site (where the mechanics are trained). The guys that train mechanics seem to think it might be water in my fuel. At this point they recommended "Heet" a fuel additive to evaporate the water. I am currently on my first tank with the evaporator in my fuel and it is still doing it. Usually it will happen once a week after I reset the codes. The only other things I have done was install new spark plugs and clean off the negative post on my battery. Anybody have this same problem or thoughts about this issue? Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks,

Rich

·
Registered
2 Posts
My truck just started doing this today except it happened after I drove it to the store. As I pulled into the stall the check engine and trac control lights came on solid with a 4lo light flashing. I found a guy on car gurus that mentioned the same thing happening as yours with it going into limp mode which my truck didn't do. If you haven't gotten any other ideas he mentioned the possibility of a secondary air injection pump or secondary air control valve failure. With his solution being to order a SAIS bypass kit to resolve the issue if your state doesn't have emissions testing. He said he's driven his for a couple months with no issues. Hope that helps or gives you another option to look into.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does help. Anything helps! The one thing I would ask is why the bypass kit instead of fixing the injection pump or air control valve? Is there performance advantages to the bypass? Just wondering, i will take any advice I can get.

Thanks,

Rich

·
Registered
2 Posts
From what I’ve read and researched using that as a fix has been done just due to cost of repairs. That and the fact it’s just an emissions control system to warm up your cats to operating temp faster to reduce emissions on startup. The kits run a total coast of $500 where repairing the system others claim it can be between 2-3 grand but that’s just what I’ve read others saying I haven’t personally looked too far into it. If you find that’s the problem and would want to fix the system on it there’s a video by John Caleb Warren on replacing your secondary pumps I found on YouTube that’s pretty helpful. Best of luck with your fix.

Derek

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK an update on my issue. I finally took my truck to another dealership so a new set of eyes and other experience could look at my truck. This time I set myself up with a backup car and told the dealership I didn't want my truck back until it was fixed! That was almost 3 weeks ago and they still have my truck! After about a week they determined I had a broken valve spring! I guess during this era the springs were known to be not great!? The dealership recommended doing all the springs (both sides) in this situation. After a bit of research I agreed to this. Bill $4200. Mostly Labor as the springs are like $5-$7 each. The bright side of this is working for Toyota I got some of that covered :) Once they got in there they saw my heat exchanger was leaking. Add another $700. Since they had the whole thing apart I told them to do the water pump, which I knew had been leaking for about a year. Add $288 (which is really a bargain). I expected to get my truck back yesterday or today but had another call from the dealer. Seems once they got it all back together and started it for the first time there was a noise from the engine. They think it dropped a valve on Cylinder #2! Waiting to hear the final results on that! It was on the opposite side of the broken valve spring and they did say that is probably on them. A dealer admitting fault? Scary thing is the service writer actually mentioned "new engine". I will update when I hear something. Until then enjoy the pictures! LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts