Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading all the post about the various catbacks systems I realized that everyone loves the product they purchased. They like the sound, performance and appearance.

So based on this information I think the best system for me is the cheapest one I can find. (Borla,Flow Master,MaganFlow,Gibson,MBRP, ETC.).

Does this make sense or am I missing something?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Magnaflow and Flowmaster make great products, and I've had first hand experience with those. It's perfectly fine to save money buying cheaper things, so why not??

·
Premium Member
3,713 Posts
Cheaper price yes but sacrifice quality no... Some sellers that sale the catback systems sale the name brand muffler but include a aftermarket no name brand poorly bent pipes. be aware what is included. There are some incredible deals out there though.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
The problem with the cheaper systems is drone. If it doesn't bother you go with them. I have ridden in trucks with Magnaflow and Flowmaster systems and I could not live with the drone. Even the TRD systems I have heard have some level of drone. The Corsa is the only system I have heard that has no drone at all. It sounds great, is easy to install, and looks good too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the kind of feedback I need be it right or wrong at least it's feedback. If you read all the other post folks that have FM and Magaflow love them they don't mention any issues with a drone. I happy to hear someone say that these system have a drone. I definitely don't want that! I'm just looking for some good honest reviews.

Thank You Tonyspin,
I'll look at the Corsa also.

·
Premium Member
5,342 Posts
I have a Magnaflow catback and it droned with the tail pipe on. I took the tail pipe off and installed a turndown and the drone disappeared. The Magnaflow I purchased is all stainless steel and still looks great after 3 plus years. I want a Corsa sport now LOL.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
My flowmaster exhaust that I spent $175 installed, sounds good to me and has zero drone. Different mufflers sound different. Choose the one that sounds the best to you, find the reviews, and then buy it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The problem with the cheaper systems is drone. If it doesn't bother you go with them. I have ridden in trucks with Magnaflow and Flowmaster systems and I could not live with the drone. Even the TRD systems I have heard have some level of drone. The Corsa is the only system I have heard that has no drone at all. It sounds great, is easy to install, and looks good too.

Drone has to do with the design, and the amount of exhaust flowing through it. it can be something very simple to fix, and worth saving the extra money for something else. It's worth seeing what's out there.

·
Registered
501 Posts
After reading all the post about the various catbacks systems I realized that everyone loves the product they purchased. They like the sound, performance and appearance.
Does this make sense or am I missing something?
I couldnt agree more. Its so annoying it drives me crazy. On one hand of course I understand people want to think their money was well spent and they would like to think they made the best decision for their money, on the other... 9 out of 10 of those would not even admit if their exhaust sounded like crap because they just spent a couple hundred dollars on it. I gave up on reading online reviews long ago for things like this because its near impossible to get an honest opinion.

Look at the bright side though.......... if you are one of those 9 no matter what you buy or how much you spend its gonna sound way better than even the best most expensive exhaust out there:rolleyes:.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
i have a magnaflow with turndowns. spent less that 200 installed. however my favorite exhaust for these trucks is still the BANKS Monster... I just couldnt justify the extra money for it :(

·
"The Midnight Modder"
11,213 Posts
It all depends on how you want it to sound. I just got my truck back today with a Corsa Sport attached to stock pipes. I chose not to dump. I love the way it is stock until you put your foot on it. It does feel more responsive at the 2000 to 3000 rpm. I love it. I did not want a super loud one that was "loud all the time". This one is loud only when I want it to be. Perfect for the dad with 2 kids in elementary.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
i just did a magnaflow weld in muffler & a weld in tip, under $115 ;)

·
Registered
759 Posts
One word... Resonator.

Find the kit you want or make a custom kit of your own,
and if you think it is too loud at a resonator (or two).

"Resonators are sections of exhaust pipe that expand to a larger diameter
and allow the sound waves to reflect off the walls and cancel out.
Resonators are mostly used to reduce raspiness and popping. And they do
not produce much back pressure."

·
"The Antagonizer"
12,046 Posts
I think it's better to go to a local exhaust shop and have them fab you up a nice exhaust system. IMO cat-back's aren't worth the price, you can have your own exhaust custom made for cheaper and have a better sound. Are you looking for a loud/semi-loud/or quiet exhaust system? If you need any help send me a PM.

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
newer vehicles have good exhaust, they are designed and tuned for them.

most cat backs do not make gains anymore, and not god enough for the price.

i went with a catback previously on my last vehicle, it made a lil gain in upper, but the damned thing rusted bad and quick along with other issues. and it was stainless supposedly.

i figured i would rather do it myself and use all stainless and if i like it great, if not it was only about 200 bucks. im sure if i decided i didn't want my exhaust anymore i could swap it for what i paid for it and someone's stock exhaust and install it for them and they would be happy and i would be back to stock with minimal loss.

Reactions: JOSH 5.7

·
Registered
759 Posts
...im sure if i decided i didn't want my exhaust anymore i could swap it for what i paid for it and someone's stock exhaust and install it for them and they would be happy and i would be back to stock with minimal loss.
Well said. I did just that with my last custom system. And the 20yr old
who traded me even up for his stock stuff absolutely loved it.

Flowmaster drown... I guess I am just getting too old. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
715 Posts
Probably a stupid question what is drone? i have never heard that before?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts