Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm just looking for a little more aggressive sound out of the truck. I know Keith from dirty deeds and the TRD are probably the best options. I really don't want to spend 1k just for a better sound. If I was going to get a noticeable improvement in horsepower or mpg it would be worth it.

I remember the good ole days where you put on a less restrictive muffler and gained a few hp. For 1k I'd have headers, straight pipes, and free up some real power. I've read guys putting on flowmasters and losing low end torque. Are there any cheap mufflers I can put in place of the stock one without changing anything else, that will keep performance the same with just a little more sound? It's a 2014 5.7L

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Magnaflow. Dual in single out would be a direct replacement. They would have to patch in a piece of pipe as the mag would probably be shorter. Better would be 2 single in out mufflers then a wye pipe after.
The magnaflow site may be the worst website I've ever used. It won't load or tells me everything will fit lol. Could you possibly send a link with which one would work best? The guys at the shop will try to sell me whatever is in stock.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
I used an Aero Turbine on the 2010. Needed that, a Y, and some tubing. Got the tubing from Verocious Motorsports.

All in all, I think I was in it less than $250.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Magnaflow 10748: Tru-Y Pipe 2" Dual Inlet/2.5" Single Outlet | JEGS jegs.com they have quite a few different set ups and y pipes
I'm not 100% positive of the size diameter of the exhaust pipes on the truck I'm sure it's not 3 inch outlet and I'm not sure if they are 2 1/2 inch inlet. But I'm sure something could be adapted to this.
I want to say our exhausts are somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 1/4" to 1 1/2inlets and a 2 1/4 - 2 1/2" outlet. It would be best to get under there and measure it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
You can make a Helmholtz resonator yourself for next to nothing. Its just a 26" long capped off piece of pipe welded into your tailpipe.
Very true but I'm not a welder and getting some of these exhaust shop guys around here that I know to do anything like that feels like you're putting them out of their skill set. Keith is just nailed the spot where it supposed to go in the angle of the tube. I'm a plumber by trade and if I could weld I'm sure I could've copied his system. I guess I don't mind throwing money at something when it's quality and they stand behind their work. Tried and true. On my previous vehicles I didn't mind experimenting and trying out a muffler. With this truck being my first new one I wanted a bolt in and go system.

Plus the fact that Keith is a local boy near me and I like to support small business. Got to take care of the little guys.

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
Very true but I'm not a welder and getting some of these exhaust shop guys around here that I know to do anything like that feels like you're putting them out of their skill set. Keith is just nailed the spot where it supposed to go in the angle of the tube. I'm a plumber by trade and if I could weld I'm sure I could've copied his system. I guess I don't mind throwing money at something when it's quality and they stand behind their work. Tried and true. On my previous vehicles I didn't mind experimenting and trying out a muffler. With this truck being my first new one I wanted a bolt in and go system.

Plus the fact that Keith is a local boy near me and I like to support small business. Got to take care of the little guys.
Installing a pipe is very simple and requires no accuracy or skill. I've done this several times on my own and it always worked perfectly.

Cut a piece of pipe 26" long, cap it off on one end. Install it in a "T" about half way down your tailpipe. Exact locations are not critical, it will work like a charm. Dollars instead of hundreds of dollars.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I figured, I spent $28k on the truck, so why cheap out on wanting better sound. I read too many bad experiences with people who skimped on this area. I'm sure people have legitimate, cheap muffler upgrades that sound good, and don't rob power. I just figured I'd pay more and not have to worry about it. I'm lazy.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I figured, I spent $28k on the truck, so why cheap out on wanting better sound. I read too many bad experiences with people who skimped on this area. I'm sure people have legitimate, cheap muffler upgrades that sound good, and don't rob power. I just figured I'd pay more and not have to worry about it. I'm lazy.
My sentiments exactly.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Because I just spent 4k this week on a new lift, rims, tires, lights, etc. Why spend 4 times more on an exhaust set up that gives no better performance? So you can brag online?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Because I just spent 4k this week on a new lift, rims, tires, lights, etc. Why spend 4 times more on an exhaust set up that gives no better performance? So you can brag online?
True, a lift, rims, tires, and lights do offer a lot more performance on the cheap. Much more than a quality exhaust.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
1 - 20 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.