Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add some bass to my truck's stock stereo, but I cant put anything behind the seats as I need room for my dog and my bin of chains and straps and whatnot. I discovered there are a number of small underseat style powered subs available. From some quick reading and you tubing I think I am going to get a cerwin vega vpas10. I don't expect to shake my mirrors, I know its not going to win any comps, I just want a fuller sound. Back in the day I installed cheap amps and subs in my vehicles, but always had an aftermarket head unit with RCAs. If I plan on using the stock head unit, does anybody know if it has RCAs on the back? if not, the VPAS10 has a high level input. Assuming there is no RCA available on the stock HU, do the regular cab trucks have wires somewhere for the non-existent rear speakers somewhere to tap into? Would I connect the right and left channel wires to the high level input on the amp, or would it be better to use a line out converter?

I'll likely replace the stock speakers as they blow...with my experience playing metal and hip hop in Toyotas the stockers don't last long. When I get to that point I'll likely post again regarding options.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,539 Posts
There are no rca's on factory head units. You could use a line output converter, or a processor like an lc6I, or lcq1, or high level input etc... A procesor gives more control... But at the price of a processor and considering you are wanting to replace the existing speakers, you would be better off with a new head unit most likely if the high level input connection doesn't do it. The factory system doesn't have a lot of power, and even though replacing the speakers alone would help, it wouldn't be the gain you are likely expecting. You can tap for high level inputs at the rear speakers, or front speakers.

I am not sure what year your truck is, but my 2010 I had to tap into the front channel before the dash speakers to get full signal for a JL Cleansweep I had installed prior to swapping the HU. I do believe the rear channel was full signal, it was a cm though.

I did just have an Alpine ILX-W650 and a KTA-450 behind the HU amp installed in my beater car, wasn't too expensive and has great high, mid and even decent low end paired with Pioneer D series components front, and D series 6x9's in the rear.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts