Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed front pads...now "wish-wish-wish-wish" noise when turning to the right. (?)

I changed out the front pads on my '15 DC, having no problems (other than escaping pad retention springs). (It's at 64k miles and I used OEM pads) But now every time I turn to the right -not left- I hear a noise that sounds like it's coming from the right front- sounds like "wish wish wish wish". Should I have changed out the rotors too? They seemed good and didn't look like they had to be resurfaced/replaced. The harder I turn, the more intense the sound is. Warped rotor? *Incidentally, what's the purpose of those 'W' shaped pins anyway? Don't look like they serve a purpose.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
If your rotor was warped you would feel a vibration when braking.
You'd notice it more hard braking.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I changed out the front pads on my '15 DC, having no problems (other than escaping pad retention springs). (It's at 64k miles and I used OEM pads) But now every time I turn to the right -not left- I hear a noise that sounds like it's coming from the right front- sounds like "wish wish wish wish". Should I have changed out the rotors too? They seemed good and didn't look like they had to be resurfaced/replaced. The harder I turn, the more intense the sound is. Warped rotor? *Incidentally, what's the purpose of those 'W' shaped pins anyway? Don't look like they serve a purpose.
Are you talking about the brake pad reduction clips? If so they help provide positive outward pressure after the caliper squeezes the pads to help push the pads back off the rotor reducing contact and drag. Below is a video of how they work. Did you change these clips with your pads? Not all pads come with them. You can pick up the clips and pins at autozone for around $7. I always change my pins and clips when changing pads, they are very inexpensive and the new pins ensure the pads slide smoothly back and forth when compressed. Also did you use brake grease? Something like whats pictured helps a ton for noise and ensures smooth operation. That is of course if nothing is bent/out of place.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I third the backing plate.

I had a bent backing plate and it made the same sound. It was just barely away from the rotor and would just barely scrape it when i turned one way. If the brakes are nice and smooth, your rotors are fine. If they pulse, then they need turned.

Last, one time, I had a shop turn my rotors and they did not turn the perfect, and I got a shake and this same wish wish wish sound, but it was very obvious that something was very very wrong. There was nothing subtle about that fail.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I think I have this problem. Can the plate be repaired, or must it be replaced?

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Bend it back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts