Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys , Ive got 105k on my truck ( 08 DC 5.7ltr 4x4 ) . Ive been calling a few different Toyota dealerships to find out what there using . One of my local dealerships say they are using an oreilly brand 80W90 for $10.15 a pint that is not synthetic but they told me that a fully synthetic 75W90 is what came in the truck ( why would they change from the factory gear oil ? ) . Another local dealership says that 75W85 is what came in the truck and they could sell me 4 quarts of the " TOYOTA " brand gear oil for $37.51 a quart ( I dont think so ) . I called a few local parts stores in the area just to get a price on a 75W85 gear oil and no one carrys it , they say the closest they have is a 75W90 gear oil . Ive found a 75W90 gear oil at my local oreillys for $12.00 a quart in Castrol synthetic . Im kinda partial to Castrol since Ive never had any problems with it and have been running it in my vehicles for over 15 yrs now . What do yall think I should do and does anyone know exactly how much gear oil my rear end takes ? Also I have something hooked to the back of my Tundra way more weekends than not like a bass boat or a couple of 4 wheelers and if theyre not back there its usually something heavier so I want to run a good gear oil . Also , what do you guys think I should do with my front end diff ? I wasnt even gonna mess with it because I dont ride up and down the rd in 4wd , all of my 4 wheeling is done at under 25 MPH up and down the huntn club rds and honestly havent had to keep it in 4x4 very often .

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I AM A 4X2 AND CHANGED REAR DIF with MOBIL 1 SYNTHETIC 75w90 with the limited slip additive even though it is not LS. Rear diff for 5.7 took close to 4 quarts. IT WAS CHANGED AT DEALER AT 4000 MILES due to leaking gasket in which they changed the oi to. It was clean at 40,000 as well. At autozone a quart was like 10 bucks.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
The 75w90 will be fine. Go ahead and change the front diff, transfer case, and rear diff since you are over 100K miles. They all use the same oil and they are fairly easy to change. Get a boat outboard oil pump ($8) for the front diff and transfer case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts