Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Because of the lifetime warranty on the pads and 3 year warranty on the rotors, I'm considering Duralast Max pads paired with Duralast Gold rotors. How do you like your Duralast Gold pads?
They do fine, just like the other box store pads I have used. You won't get the race car feel in the pedal like you would from the high end aftermarket stuff, but they stop the truck just as well as the factory stuff and always last me 4-5 years. And once I dump the factory stuff in favor of the Autozone or Pep Boys rotors I never get vibration issues again.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
They do fine, just like the other box store pads I have used. You won't get the race car feel in the pedal like you would from the high end aftermarket stuff, but they stop the truck just as well as the factory stuff and always last me 4-5 years. And once I dump the factory stuff in favor of the Autozone or Pep Boys rotors I never get vibration issues again.
Thanks. I'll be installing my front rotors and pads tomorrow.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've been going back and forth here- figured let me get a few opinions from others.

I've got 98,000 miles and still on the original pads/rotors. I've got about 1/8" left of pad- so I recently bought some new pads (Hawk LTS) and was going to swap them in. My rotors are in good condition considering the mileage. No big nicks/gouges/etc. The faces are clean, thickness is at 32.18mm and consistent all around (i'm tacking up the few 1/100ths variation to my $15 caliper). The vents are all rusted out - living in the northeast and all- but not deteriorated.

I've had no warping/vibrations/etc- so I was thinking of just sanding them down and throwing on the new pads. I didn't wish to turn them and take a chance of then needing to replace due to warping.

The other option... turn $100 brake job into $500 and buy some new rotors. Obviously that's the better solution- but I'm wondering if it's a 'necessity' or not.
The challenge is that there is no telling how much the rust has effected the rotors. If you went 100,000 miles on the first set run, how many years will it be before you change them out again? There are certainly great, inexpensive options for rotors that will give you some peace of mind without breaking the bank.

Centric and Stoptech have some e-coated and high carbon rotors that will help the war against rust from the salt and elements for northern drivers.

You can find any of these brake upgrades and others at BuyBrakes.com who enjoys a bit of price smashing (even Amazon pricing). After all, we're Veteran owned.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also like the Centric Premiums. I have them on my Crewmax for the last 40K or so and plenty of life left. I just had them resurfaced to meet up with their second set of pads. On both my last two trucks I swapped rotors with my first brake job because they'd be to the point of vibrating by the time the first set of factory pads was done. The aftermarket rotors would last through several sets of pads though without a hiccup.

When I do a brake job I don't want to have to touch the system for another 4 or 5 years. That means if the rotors are factory or they're worn to the point where I can feel it they have to go.
Centric rotors with Ceramic pads is a great way to keep cost and brake dust down. BuyBrakes.com has all their products available. If you can't find what you are looking for on the site, feel free to call 888-257-7149 or text at 702-903-1713.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Still no comments about the big brake rotors? lol

41 - 45 of 45 Posts