Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been trying to find an aftermarket insert to decrease size of the bucket size cup holders Toyota decided to outfit our trucks with but, no luck so far.
After a few months I stumbled upon a tread here of a cool idea using a Fernco rubber coupling which seemed to work, so I headed for the Home Depot the next day and installed my new inserts which I cut to fit two different size cups and bottles.
Unfortunately they never really did the trick aesthetically speaking. So after a few days of some head scratching, I finally decided to pull my woodworking tools and tried a couple of materials including aluminum but for ease of cutting and shaping I chose a piece of hardboard for the prototype.
Didn't cut the cup holes yet because I didn't have the correct size hole saw.

Anyway, I plan to either paint it black to match the plastic or wrap it with gunmetal wrap to somewhat match the cluster surround and as I keep working on this I'd like to hear from you guys any ideas or opinions, yays or nays.

I am thinking of 1 cup holder and 1 cellphone mount/charger on the one closer to the front.

Reactions: Ogtoyfan

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Prototype done

Been kind of busy lately and though this was a small project, it took more time than I thought it would. So after a few trials I finally got it to fit and look good.
I am sure I will be playing with other materials and ideas but here is the final product for now.
Paint is close enough but a bit shinier than the dashboard grey, all and all a pretty close match. It may be the lighting conditions but its very hard to photograph. It really looks great in person but in the pics not so much.
Again, let me know what you think.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Dragos28, PM me your details. I'll use u as my Guinea Pig and advertising, you get a Freebee ;)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Using your thinker!
Any way you can do it so its just for one? Large coffee fits well but water bottles do not.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Using your thinker!
Any way you can do it so its just for one? Large coffee fits well but water bottles do not.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Can do, not sure it would look good with the square part just hanging. Holes can be modified up to 3 1/4" inside diameter so you can have 2 different size openings to fit different size cup/bottles.
I'll try to make a few samples in the next few days and take pics of them with coffee cups, weather bottles, sodas etc.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Nice job.

Mine have a bunch of receipts in the cup holders so they fit anything I put in there fine. Small cans and waters go in the ash tray holder. Plus I stay out of the whoop section so I've never spilled anything.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
You just need to use the proper size cup!

Holy Molly, that's a whole lotta sugga:eek:

Sorry about the thumbs down, dunno how it got there and can't remove it :dunno:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quick update: (2) 2 3/4" openings won't work. Water and soda bottles fit perfect but most insulated coffee cups won't.
I decided to enlarge 1 opening to 3 3/16" and it works perfect for my largest coffee cup.
Daylight pictures show better detail.
I'll be making a few of these next week to have ready in case there is any interest. No Idea as to value yet so I'll let my guinea pigs use them for a few days so I can get feedback on usability and possible price.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts