Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Larry, did you look at the mount I linked to? Might not be cheap but it looks like it will work very well with the bed cover. But I don't know what shipping would be to Canada. Maybe you can make similar, if you can work with metal?

I have a Cobra 75, I think it works well enough for what it is. All the controls are in the mic. It's a fat package but not bad otherwise. There's a Midland model which seems to get good reviews too, but I think it's a bit bigger, and I have no need for the HT aspects of its design.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Not a CB install, but a VHF-Lo FD 2-Way radio mounted in my console. I rarely operate on different channels, so access to the selector is unnecessary.

I have an extension cable to bring the mic out to the dash.

Because the speaker is on the front of the radio, I have an external speaker under the seat. I used the hook side of velcro against the carpet to keep it in place.

The antenna is an NMO 30 Mhz unit with a fender mount.

Hope this helps someone out.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Well, I tried to make something, failed miserably. I think I might have to buy one of those Breedlove mounts. Kinda pricey, well, not too bad really. I'm not 100% sure it is exactly what I want, but since I lack a machine shop I'm not sure I could make one like it. Certainly not as well made.

https://breedlovemounts.com/Front_bed_rail_bracket.html

Worst case: I buy three (2m, 11m and HF), although I'm thinking just two (2m and 11m). We'll see.
I asked about the strength on qrz.com, and the word is that this mount is a tight fit. Bummer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
just spent the evening trying to find a fender mount to fit my Tundra. Can't seem to find something in Canada.
My problem is I have a hard (fiberglass) tonneau cover that overlaps the bed rails making it almost impossible to mount a CB aerial in/on the box . My only option it to find the front fender mount and also get the correct aerial kit. Oh well, I don't need to panic yet.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm starting to think my only choice is to (gulp) drill in the front fender, for one of those NMO fender mounts. Three small screw holes, won't be able to see those holes with the hood closed. I don't see any good mounts that use existing bolts.

Just seems wrong, to drill otherwise perfect sheetmetal.

Reactions: BigRed2007

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not a CB but when I do the stereo install I will custom mount my Kenwood TM-V71A HAM 144-440mhz in the removable cup holder space. I plan to pop the cup holder out and make a plate to fill in like factory just cutout for the ham. Prob mount the brains in the console.

I like having an antenna in the bed I can fold up if needed since height is one of the keys to range.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I'm starting to think my only choice is to (gulp) drill in the front fender, for one of those NMO fender mounts. Three small screw holes, won't be able to see those holes with the hood closed. I don't see any good mounts that use existing bolts.

Just seems wrong, to drill otherwise perfect sheetmetal.
I was lucky. The previous lessee had used my truck at a paving company and had already drilled the necessary holes for an antenna. I just refilled them with screws for my antenna mount.

·
Registered
20 Posts
just spent the evening trying to find a fender mount to fit my Tundra. Can't seem to find something in Canada.
My problem is I have a hard (fiberglass) tonneau cover that overlaps the bed rails making it almost impossible to mount a CB aerial in/on the box . My only option it to find the front fender mount and also get the correct aerial kit. Oh well, I don't need to panic yet.
Well, I had a bracket made. I got 12 " long piece of stainless steel $7.56 and had it bent (for free at my work) to fit on the front of the bed of my truck. It is 7" long with one 1/2 hole drilled the top and a 3/8 hole near the bottom (to allow the coaxial cable to pass thru).
I have the holding screws inside the bed and I have 1/4 inch clearance between the mount and the cab, to allow for body flex.
I made a template from a coat hanger.
I tried to post photos but for some reason, I can not.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I finally gave in, and bought a Pro-Fit antenna mount (Pro-Fit TYANTPF, see here Antenna Mounts for Trucks and SUV's, NMO Mounts and Fender Mounts), and a Larsen NMO coax cable, and a Larsen NMO27C antenna (for CB). Bought all from The Antenna Farm. I'd give it a 4 out of 5 stars. The following are my notes/thoughts:

-Mount is meant for left side only. If you put it on the right side of the truck it would angle the antenna forward. So it's left fender only. [Maybe some day I'll try mounting on the right side to see how bad it's angled.]
-It's not a stiff as I'd care for. OTOH they couldn't make it any thicker, or it would not fit between hood and fender.
-One of the mounts that is screwed into the fender (a generic mount) is probably more stiff, despite being of the same gauge sheetmetal, simply because of less metal that can flex.
-it's not 100% fitted. I spent a few minutes with pliers, bending it just so. Which means it's a good thing it's not thicker metal. I would not let this deter anyone, as it was just a few minutes with pliers to get it to where I was happy.
-There are some sharp edges. I forgot to file them down. Shouldn't matter, as the mount should not hit paint. Except the bracket feels a bit flimsy...
-I put a wrap of electrical tape around mine, in case of contact to the fender or hood.
-My first thought is that this Larsen NMO27C antenna (for CB) is too much antenna, as I could easily make the mount flex "lots" in the driveway. But on the highway today the base barely moved around, so perhaps it is stiff enough. This antenna is about the same size as a 2m 5/8's whip; but I'd be hesitant with any antenna with the loading coil(s) located up higher.
-Larsen's directions for trimming the NMO27C was about spot-on, 47-ish inches for fender mount. Can't comment on range/performance, as I plan to just monitor CH19 for road conditions, or use a 2m antenna for local work.
-Not sure what coax it used, but it's about the size of RG58. Which is the most you could get between hood and fender. As it is I'm a bit concerned about paint rub.
-I think I'd buy another one again, assuming no rust issues or stupid stuff like that.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
You want a bit of flex. An extremely rigid mounting would not give and you'd be breaking stuff. There are also opposite cut mounts available for the other fender side available.

NMO27 and NMOKHFUD coax assembly is definitely the way to go for fender and through-roof installs and it's the setup that I recommend time and time again with successful results and good feedback from the end users. In addition it's very easy to change to another radio setup if need be in the future.

Make sure the gasket is in place between the antenna thread mount (well in this case loading coil base) and the fender bracket. They make a thick one and a thinner one, I generally use the thick one on fender brackets but just make sure there is something present. Occasionally they fall off during handling or installation.

Wrapping some rubber splicing tape or similar material would be prudent around the coax to prevent it from wearing the paint from vibration and also to prevent wearing the sheathing from the same vibration. I've also used a small strip of VHB mounting tape which sticks to itself and to the place you want it to be, then it loses its stickyness after being exposed to free air for a bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is how mine is mounted, I just "unhook" it when I want to use it.

Very nice setup. Which mount did you use to achieve this? And where'd you get the hook from? I'm still able to pull my '16 quicksand in the garage, and the CB is my next mod. I don't want to hear the ol ball and chain complain every time my antenna scrapes the ceiling ?

41 - 54 of 54 Posts