Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
My antenna is a lil bigger and heavier that a standard CB antenna, but this Breedlove mount I got for the stakepocket works for me since I occasionally have a toolbox in my truck ( like I currently do)

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Pickup truck

·
Registered
830 Posts
I haven't made up my mind what I'm doing just yet; but I'm tempted to have a bracket made for mine. I don't have the bed rail system, but I plan to have either a bed cap or a tonneau cover installed before winter. I'm not sure I'm in the mood to punch a hole in the roof just yet...

So, I'm thinking of getting a piece of stainless, about 14" x 14", give or take. Long enough to span the distance between two of the bolts of the bed rail system, which are about 13" apart. The flat portion would be about 6" long, to get the antenna mount past the bed rail. Then a 90 degree bend, then two more 90's, so that the remaining lip can be secured to the bed rail system mounting holes.

In my case, I'm thinking of two antennas, one for 2m and the other for 11m, hence the 14" length. If one wanted a heavy antenna, the long length is ideal. Alternatively, for just one antenna, I'm thinking of using 1" square stock, like aluminum, 14" long to span the bed rail system. Then on that use a thinner L bracket, say again 6" long to get the antenna past the bed rail, then just one 90 degree bend and then attach to the square stock. [From what I've read, the bed rail system uses 6mm bolts, with a 1mm pitch.]

Haven't gotten anywhere on the idea just yet, but it's what's kicking around in my head at this time. This would allow usage of either kind of bed cover, and leaves the Bullring tiedowns that are already in the stake pockets. And not require any cutting/drilling/other mods to the truck.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
lol funny enough, mine is quad band ham antenna,(70cm,2m,6m,10m) and the standard lip mount I used to have was flexing the heck out of my hood. there is a photo gallery @ Breedlovemounts.com, and one of them is a bed rail mount that had a tonneau cover on it, but it looks like a soft cover :p, but may give you some ideas to mull over. I am not a big fan of punching holes in my vehicles either, unless it is in a concealed area, probably why it took 18 months to find a different mount and get my radio back in lol

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
lol funny enough, mine is quad band ham antenna,(70cm,2m,6m,10m) and the standard lip mount I used to have was flexing the heck out of my hood. there is a photo gallery @ Breedlovemounts.com, and one of them is a bed rail mount that had a tonneau cover on it, but it looks like a soft cover :p, but may give you some ideas to mull over. I am not a big fan of punching holes in my vehicles either, unless it is in a concealed area, probably why it took 18 months to find a different mount and get my radio back in lol
You ham it up bro?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
A little bit here and there, was extremely useful in my racing days. Now a days I play around a lil bit here and there when I have time.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Neat. I've had my tech ticket since 97 or 98 can't remember. Activity the last 5 years has been way down around here though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
289 Posts
Mounted my Cobra 29. Only time it's really used is out-of-state travel (long trips a couple times a month). Have a mag mount Wilson 1000. Will secure permanent power at some point, but cig lighter power will suffice for now.

Center console Gear shift Vehicle Car Auto part

Vehicle Car Floor Automotive design Technology

·
Registered
607 Posts
my cobra 75 wxst is mounted under drivers seat. Have a remote speaker mounted by my right leg where the center console meets the carpet(speaker in the mike suxs). Just far enough forward that the seat can slide all the way forward. Antenna mounted on a bracket coming out between the hood and fender on the drivers side.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Roof or fender mount... everything else is a compromise depending on how important performance is to you. A 27MHz whip I would probably fender mount due to its height.

If doing fender mount with a NMO, use a Larsen KHFUD cable assembly because they are a sealed unit. The solder-on type will get your coax braid and center conductor wet after the first rain or carwash which will cause corrosion and can change its impedance. Those are designed for roof mounting since the bottom side is inside the vehicle cab and shielded from the elements.

I do prefer the NMO mounts not only because I do way more VHF/400MHz/800MHz installs but also because the RF components are completely enclosed up until the antenna's radiating element itself. The threaded peg style can be affected by any adjacent metallic objects which affects your match... reflected power back into the radio. Especially with a 4 watt mobile (that's theoretical on a good day, terminate a real radio into a test set and it may be only 3.6W stock) you want every bit of power going into the air. With a 30W mobile then 0.5W coming back isn't a huge deal for power loss.

On my Tundra I had removed the center stack cupholder tray entirely and mounted the radio equipment there. If you have a center console try the side of it, inside the compartment itself or if it is a compact like a PRO520 maybe it will fit that slot in between, but would need an external speaker because it's a down-firing speaker.

·
Registered
830 Posts
What do you think about a mount like this? I'm not sure if I'll have it made up (not willing to spend a fortune on it), but am toying with this. If I do, I might have two made, 2m antenna on one side, 3/8 mount on the other; right now I have it showing both on the same mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
830 Posts
Found another mount, not sure i like how close the antenna would be to the cab, but might be ok for hamsticks, or other antennas with significant loading coil length. Not sure it is sized properly for our trucks, and maybe one could make at home, but anyhow, another idea.

Truck Front Bed Rail Bracket

·
Registered
830 Posts
I saw that mount at Nearfest, bought it, realized it wouldn't work, returned it. How did you get it to work? Pack material around it?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I removed the rubber and turned the lower plate 90 degrees if I remember correctly. If it stops raining, I'll remove my tri-fold and snap a picture.
Hi, get a chance to snap that pic? :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry for the delay.

This mount was designed to expand the large rubber into the bed pocket. Unfortunately, our bed pockets are too large for that to work. What I did was remove the large rubber base and just sandwich the metal plates together. By turning the lower plate 90 degrees, (it's rectangular) the long end pulls against the lower lip of the pocked.

I need to remove the ground screw and replace it with a stainless one.

As you can see, it doesn't allow the bed cover to fit real well, but it still seals and doesn't leak. I'll try to get the time to remove the cover sometime this week to get a better pick if you need it.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Well, I tried to make something, failed miserably. I think I might have to buy one of those Breedlove mounts. Kinda pricey, well, not too bad really. I'm not 100% sure it is exactly what I want, but since I lack a machine shop I'm not sure I could make one like it. Certainly not as well made.

https://breedlovemounts.com/Front_bed_rail_bracket.html

Worst case: I buy three (2m, 11m and HF), although I'm thinking just two (2m and 11m). We'll see.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2010 Crew Max with a hard tonneau cover. I want to mount a CB antenna on the box rail but I haven't seen anything that will work with this cover and I don't want to make something that will look shi77y. :) My only other option is the fender mount.
I have the bucket seats with full console. I like the idea of mounting the radio under the seat. I wouldn't be switching channels while driving although adjusting the squelch would be difficult. I have a few months before I need to really knuckle down and install the radio and antenna so I have time to continue to look.
I live in Canada so if you know where I can "find" a useable bracket in this country, I would appreciate knowing where.
Thanks
Larry

21 - 40 of 54 Posts