Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
I haven't made up my mind what I'm doing just yet; but I'm tempted to have a bracket made for mine. I don't have the bed rail system, but I plan to have either a bed cap or a tonneau cover installed before winter. I'm not sure I'm in the mood to punch a hole in the roof just yet...

So, I'm thinking of getting a piece of stainless, about 14" x 14", give or take. Long enough to span the distance between two of the bolts of the bed rail system, which are about 13" apart. The flat portion would be about 6" long, to get the antenna mount past the bed rail. Then a 90 degree bend, then two more 90's, so that the remaining lip can be secured to the bed rail system mounting holes.

In my case, I'm thinking of two antennas, one for 2m and the other for 11m, hence the 14" length. If one wanted a heavy antenna, the long length is ideal. Alternatively, for just one antenna, I'm thinking of using 1" square stock, like aluminum, 14" long to span the bed rail system. Then on that use a thinner L bracket, say again 6" long to get the antenna past the bed rail, then just one 90 degree bend and then attach to the square stock. [From what I've read, the bed rail system uses 6mm bolts, with a 1mm pitch.]

Haven't gotten anywhere on the idea just yet, but it's what's kicking around in my head at this time. This would allow usage of either kind of bed cover, and leaves the Bullring tiedowns that are already in the stake pockets. And not require any cutting/drilling/other mods to the truck.

·
Registered
830 Posts
What do you think about a mount like this? I'm not sure if I'll have it made up (not willing to spend a fortune on it), but am toying with this. If I do, I might have two made, 2m antenna on one side, 3/8 mount on the other; right now I have it showing both on the same mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
830 Posts
Found another mount, not sure i like how close the antenna would be to the cab, but might be ok for hamsticks, or other antennas with significant loading coil length. Not sure it is sized properly for our trucks, and maybe one could make at home, but anyhow, another idea.

Truck Front Bed Rail Bracket

·
Registered
830 Posts
I saw that mount at Nearfest, bought it, realized it wouldn't work, returned it. How did you get it to work? Pack material around it?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Well, I tried to make something, failed miserably. I think I might have to buy one of those Breedlove mounts. Kinda pricey, well, not too bad really. I'm not 100% sure it is exactly what I want, but since I lack a machine shop I'm not sure I could make one like it. Certainly not as well made.

https://breedlovemounts.com/Front_bed_rail_bracket.html

Worst case: I buy three (2m, 11m and HF), although I'm thinking just two (2m and 11m). We'll see.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Larry, did you look at the mount I linked to? Might not be cheap but it looks like it will work very well with the bed cover. But I don't know what shipping would be to Canada. Maybe you can make similar, if you can work with metal?

I have a Cobra 75, I think it works well enough for what it is. All the controls are in the mic. It's a fat package but not bad otherwise. There's a Midland model which seems to get good reviews too, but I think it's a bit bigger, and I have no need for the HT aspects of its design.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Well, I tried to make something, failed miserably. I think I might have to buy one of those Breedlove mounts. Kinda pricey, well, not too bad really. I'm not 100% sure it is exactly what I want, but since I lack a machine shop I'm not sure I could make one like it. Certainly not as well made.

https://breedlovemounts.com/Front_bed_rail_bracket.html

Worst case: I buy three (2m, 11m and HF), although I'm thinking just two (2m and 11m). We'll see.
I asked about the strength on qrz.com, and the word is that this mount is a tight fit. Bummer.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm starting to think my only choice is to (gulp) drill in the front fender, for one of those NMO fender mounts. Three small screw holes, won't be able to see those holes with the hood closed. I don't see any good mounts that use existing bolts.

Just seems wrong, to drill otherwise perfect sheetmetal.

Reactions: BigRed2007

·
Registered
830 Posts
I finally gave in, and bought a Pro-Fit antenna mount (Pro-Fit TYANTPF, see here Antenna Mounts for Trucks and SUV's, NMO Mounts and Fender Mounts), and a Larsen NMO coax cable, and a Larsen NMO27C antenna (for CB). Bought all from The Antenna Farm. I'd give it a 4 out of 5 stars. The following are my notes/thoughts:

-Mount is meant for left side only. If you put it on the right side of the truck it would angle the antenna forward. So it's left fender only. [Maybe some day I'll try mounting on the right side to see how bad it's angled.]
-It's not a stiff as I'd care for. OTOH they couldn't make it any thicker, or it would not fit between hood and fender.
-One of the mounts that is screwed into the fender (a generic mount) is probably more stiff, despite being of the same gauge sheetmetal, simply because of less metal that can flex.
-it's not 100% fitted. I spent a few minutes with pliers, bending it just so. Which means it's a good thing it's not thicker metal. I would not let this deter anyone, as it was just a few minutes with pliers to get it to where I was happy.
-There are some sharp edges. I forgot to file them down. Shouldn't matter, as the mount should not hit paint. Except the bracket feels a bit flimsy...
-I put a wrap of electrical tape around mine, in case of contact to the fender or hood.
-My first thought is that this Larsen NMO27C antenna (for CB) is too much antenna, as I could easily make the mount flex "lots" in the driveway. But on the highway today the base barely moved around, so perhaps it is stiff enough. This antenna is about the same size as a 2m 5/8's whip; but I'd be hesitant with any antenna with the loading coil(s) located up higher.
-Larsen's directions for trimming the NMO27C was about spot-on, 47-ish inches for fender mount. Can't comment on range/performance, as I plan to just monitor CH19 for road conditions, or use a 2m antenna for local work.
-Not sure what coax it used, but it's about the size of RG58. Which is the most you could get between hood and fender. As it is I'm a bit concerned about paint rub.
-I think I'd buy another one again, assuming no rust issues or stupid stuff like that.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts