Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Catalytic Converters Stolen

26K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  granky 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 Tundra and had the catalytic converters taken in January. It is covered under insurance but of course right now there is a shortage of parts and the Toyota dealer has told me it will probably be several months before I can get my truck back. I did find a place online that has Magnaflow cats quite a bit cheaper. Would it be reasonable to just go with the Magnaflow or better to wait on the OEM parts? The estimate for the repairs at the dealership came to $6k :oops:

Discussion starter · #8 ·
It's covered, did they also give you a rental until your truck is done? Might think about that you're putting mileage on a rental and not yours.
I have a daily driver vehicle so I don't have rental insurance on my policy. I think I will be making changes to my policy for the future! But transportation is not an issue; I use the truck for pulling a trailer and don't really need it in the winter. I just hate having it gone so long!

Discussion starter · #9 ·
A official welcome for your first post.. Those kitty cat thieves are the worst, damn sonsabitches.... Ever thought about Vahalla cat plates?? To protect front and rear cats. Ordered mine in Dec and the back log is a wait, should arrive soon, but a awesome deterrent against thieves... Good luck...
Thank you! Love my tundra! Theft has gotten horrible; they seem to have hit my town hard and I am hearing a lot of cases of it lately. Never had an issue before. I am definitely thinking of getting security for the cats when it gets fixed. Until I can get them it is going to be stored on my friend's property which is gated.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Most insurance policies cover rental for 30 days. The cat thefts are becoming a big problem. Seems little is being done to the people buying them.
Yes...wish the scrap yards would require IDs or something like the pawn shops do. Toyota needs to step up though and secure them better IMO. As much as these trucks cost it seems like a small thing.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
I guess I either don't pay enough attention or haven't been subjected to repairs of this nature but 6k to replace your cat? Is that normal or did the thieves do extensive damage? As far as your dilemma, my only thought would be a warranty issue down the line.
Yes it was a shock to me too! I called local body shops beforehand and got quotes of around $2500 for aftermarket. But the insurance company only works with certain shops and the dealership was the closest one. I called another bodyshop that was putting on Toyota cats on another Tundra that was hit and he told me that one was costing $4k at least. The thieves cut the O2 sensors but pretty sure that was the only other damage on mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.