Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2014 Toyota Tundra. Just had the cat stolen in the parking lot of my office in broad daylight. I see multiple products for theft prevention, which I WILL be buying once this thing is replaced. There seem to be 3 major designs:

1) Welded cage (custom job)
2) Plate metal shield (e.g. Valhalla Shield)
3) Steel cable cage (e.g. CatClamp)

I would prefer 2 or 3 as I don't mind installing it myself and like the idea of being about to (more easily) remove the protection if needed as opposed to a welded cage. But honestly just whatever will help prevent this in the future. It seems like they all would do the job of deterring a theft of opportunity, but just wondering if anyone had any positive or negative reviews with any of these.

And another thought: does it make any sense to install both a CatClamp cage AND a plate shield? I mean, at first glance it would seem like if 1 is good, 2 is better. But I know that's not always the case. Also not sure if the plate would fit if there were a cage, but just curious.

·
Registered
242 Posts
It’s the guy or guys in the getaway vehicle you have to worry about. Buy hey, you do you. I’ll stay away. Not worth the fight for a couple of grand.
You must live in the hood if it’s that bad. Odds are, my 3 Shepherds will be having a tug-of-war with whoever is under my truck before I have a chance to get to my gun. If they end up get my cat, that’s what I pay insurance for.

·
Registered
2014 Toyota Tundra DC Limited, TRD 4x4
13 Posts
You must live in the hood if it’s that bad.
Where you live is irrelevant. These criminals are willing to travel for work. I lived in a nice neighborhood well north of the Denver metro area, and most of my neighbors around me had their cats stolen in one night last year (my truck was in the garage). These guys are well-organized, work in teams and prepared for anything. Be careful.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Damn, that’s crazy. Most of my neighbors are retired military. The most we get are the occasional hoodies looking for unlocked cars. We do have a neighbor whose an electrical engineer who will install a device that will activate a train horn if a CAT gets cut. I think He charges about $150.

·
Registered
27 Posts
if he’s still under the car when I catch him, it won’t be much of a fight. If not, I’m very confident in my skills.
Yeah, let’s kill someone over an insured piece of property. I’m sure you won’t regret the fallout of criminal investigations, high likelihood of going to prison, lawsuits, etc. Maybe you should reconsider gun ownership if this is your non-heat of the moment take.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, let’s kill someone over an insured piece of property. I’m sure you won’t regret the fallout of criminal investigations, high likelihood of going to prison, lawsuits, etc. Maybe you should reconsider gun ownership if this is your non-heat of the moment take.
LOL, yeah now you just cower like a good little liberal and let these criminals walk all over your rights and take your property with impunity.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The best karma for a thief using a jack, would be for the jack to fail while under the car !!! You would need to have a plan in advance if you should happen upon the theft in progress. Bear spray maybe?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts