Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my exhaust re-done and i absolutely love it. I had Thrush glasspacks and wanted something louder. Did the whole cat delete and super 40's on both sides. But when i looked under the truck i noticed that there was still 2 more cats. So i went back the next day and they removed them. The truck sounds amazing, until i get going it sounds like a good deep muscle car rumble. Very loud and clear. Only thing i know that taking all cats off was going to set the check engine light. Does anybody know how to get rid of the light? Not really a big deal if i cant get rid of it. I swear i love just hearing my truck start up. If anybody is in the north area of jacksonville florida take your truck to S&S custom exhaust off of Beach BLVD. Went in and was out in an hour and a half. Get little shop.

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
Yes it will set a CEL. The solution is simulators for the rear O2 sensors. I believe URD sells them. I have also seen some create their own simulators by making custom extra long sensor bungs which mount the sensors partially out of the exhaust stream. Somehow that gets the job done too. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Underdog Racing Development

You WILL get a P0420 or P0430.. This was my only answer for now and it works. I heard Sparks sells them for less but I can't find a link on their site. They have a messy not user friendly website for aftermarket parts..

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this may be a dumb question because im not a mechanic and just learning how to do these kinds of things. Does it go around where the cats needs to be or is hooking up to the computer?

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
You could try and buy some sparkplug defoulers and drill them out with a 1/2 in bit and put them where your sensors go and then put your sensors in them, you would need the short and long ones one of each on both sides. Should cost about 10 $. Have not tryed on our trucks but have seen it work on bmw's and other cars and trucks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
I tried the NonFouler extentions, drilled them out, even doubled stacked them. It didnt work, still got the P0420/430.. I gave it a good fight but that blasted ECU is too dam smart/picky..
The O2 sims are just in "inline plug" that plugs inbetween the stock O2. It still takes the readings of the O2, but sends the ECU a much much lower reading. For mine it went from around say 9.5 to a .075.... on my code reader, a super low reduction for sure..

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got the sims from sparks just email them to get a price. I got my in 2 days with the dt headers. They plug into the connections for the o2 sensor with a black box. No check engine light and works great. If you want an even better sound get the long tube headers

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
i am currently working on a rear bung that is similar to the defouler idea except that you take the 'sample' from a much smaller opening and the bung is packed with some 'good stuff' to keep the voltage of the rear o2 down;) Intended for off road use only, not intended for any vehicle which is driven on public roadways.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Not really a big deal if i cant get rid of it.
May not be a big deal to you but your ECU thinks differently; by running out of tolerance range the ECU will run a 'safe mode map' or change afr to insure the engine wont be damaged, and is not just a CEL on the dash.

~JH

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I did the cat delete, and I knew my engine light would come on but today my maintenance required light came on. Does anybody know why that would come on?

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
345 Posts
Are you guys talking about deleting both sets of cats? Will the check engine light come one if I just delete the two rear most cats?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did just one cat on both sides and no light, but it wasn't loud enough for me. So I went back and got the other two removed then my light came on. No it's not the oil just got one done about 1k ago. That's what I thought at first but I'm clueless now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you delete any of the cats ur check engine light will come on. You can get a o2 sim from sparks Trd you just have to email them and ask for the price and how to order. I added mine to the header order or you can get them urd. As for the mant light could it be possible it was not reset after the oil change?

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
1) URD O2 Sims $180 + $? Shipping
2) Sparks O2 Sims $150 + $10 shipping
3) the O2 only monitors the FIRST Cat, not the second Cat. So if you remove the First Cat, you will get a P0420/430..
4) Your maintanence light coming on was purely coincidental. Mine just turned on today when I hit 75,000. To turn it off, push your trip button to the "A" setting, let go, turn off the engine. Then hold down the trip button, keep holding it down while you turn the key to the ACC only, you will see these 5 solid squares where the numbers were, they start to blink and then you'll see each solid square start to dissapear from left to right until you see only one then you'll hear a beep that the maintanance light has cleared. You are now good to go. Its just an idiot light to remind the driver/owner to change the oil, but it doesn't know if you already did it and goes by the miles..

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
any vids/sound clips?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts