Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Will a cat-back exhaust cause any codes, problems to the engine?

• No

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 tundra and want to replicate this exhaust system, basically stock cats and sensors, dual mufflers and tips

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qFU7cr3-7qE

Will this cause my truck to throw codes, the sensors to not function properly, thrash the air/fuel ratio, or cause the engine to run lean ,not good? I am worried it will effect the longevity of my engine, and I got this truck to last for a long time.
Should I also get a new airbox, highflow intake and reflash the ecu like a stage one?

· Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2010 5.7 tundra cut off the Exhaust behind the cats slapped Magna flow super 40s true dual on there haven’t had a problem yet in the last 4 years sounds amazing no recoding needed you will notice a smell the fist few weeks tho of the chemicals burning off the new pipe hope this helps haven’t done a full cold air intake yet but a k and n air filter in the stock box worked for me

· Registered
14,311 Posts
I have a 2020 tundra and want to replicate this exhaust system, basically stock cats and sensors, dual mufflers and tips

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qFU7cr3-7qE

Will this cause my truck to throw codes, the sensors to not function properly, thrash the air/fuel ratio, or cause the engine to run lean ,not good? I am worried it will effect the longevity of my engine, and I got this truck to last for a long time.
Should I also get a new airbox, highflow intake and reflash the ecu like a stage one?
No, leaving the stock cats you shouldn't have any codes.

I modified my 2010 stock exhaust. I pulled everything from the flanges back and added a Y pipe, then an Aero Turbine muffler, then connected the stock tailpipes, sounded great, but droned. I didn't mind the drone, just either went faster or slower than where it droned. Downside, it droned at like 60ish to 72ish, if I remember correctly. Swapped trucks in 2016. I pretty much just sped a lot. Drone was only bad if towing.

FF to my 17, I had the TRD dual system installed at the factory. Ordered it that way. It sounds good, but not as loud or throaty as I wanted. Also, noticeable low end loss vs my last truck, and less top as well. Even with both trucks being tuned.
I really want to swap the TRD mufflers to Aeros's, will be easier as they are longer than the Carven R's, and they are an interesting design internally if you look at them. They help aid in scavenging effect. If I do it, or chop my TRD system eventually, I will be adding an X pipe to help get back the low end loss from the true dual design.

I don't really drive my truck much, lately I am trying to decide between adding an SC, or headers, and modify my exhaust... Or buying something to just have fun with, and adding a turbo.

· Registered
262 Posts
I just replaced my magnaflow catback yesterday with a Flowmaster outlaw catback system. Still have stock cats. No code issues at all. Truck sounds like an absolute beast now, I cannot believe the difference. Flowmaster for the win!
View attachment 889159
View attachment 889158
Sounds like Flowmaster is a great choice! Exhaust will be the next mod on my friend's new Tundra project. It's still in the shop for the new Bridgestone tires and black rhino wheels plus the alignment. He'll sure like that setup!

· Registered
989 Posts
I avoided using Flowbastards, and went with a custom cat-back from Dirty Deeds. It's a stainless steel system that I have been running on my 5.7L 2007 since November of 2019. It sounds great, and I have zero problems related to the cat-back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.