Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about three weeks ago I went thru the car was I normally go thru squeaky clean. After going thru and drying my truck I noticed thousands of tiny scratches from the front fender to the rear on both sides. Obviously I am pissed and made a report with the guy working. They even took pictures. They are someone hard to notice but once you notice it you see them clearly. The owner calls me two weeks later and wants me to make an appointment with a local detailer. I stopped and made an appointment and the guy acted like he wouldn't be able to fix the scratches. Any ideas for me? I haven't had the truck a year yet.

· Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might see if the owner will pay for a carbon fiber wrap...lol

· Registered
1,894 Posts
and that's why you wash your own vehicle that sucks, surprised the owner offered any thing. all the car wash places around me have signs that say the owner is not responsible for any damage

Reactions: Powertechn2

· Premium Member
18,382 Posts
I call some guys that have the trailer behind their truck, detail my truck in & out for $20.. they spend a good 30-45 min on it...
find one of those guys in your area....

Usually i have them wash all our cars at once & get an across the board break..

but there are times when i'm in a hurry and will do the drive thru car wash.. havent noticed any scratches... but my truck already has some scratches, dings, and dents so i dont really give it that much attention..

· Registered
1,258 Posts
Yeah, never use a car wash on your new truck.

Reactions: Powertechn2

· Registered
14,308 Posts
Never use a drive thru wash period.

What do you think happens to all that dirt from the car that drives down dirt roads and just went in before you?

This isn't just new vehicles, drive thur washes have been scratching cars since before I was doing detailing at 16...

that was over 16 years ago, and back then the same issues with drive thru washes.

· Premium Member
2,270 Posts
I love my automatic car wash. Just don't let her know I called her that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
956 Posts
It's fine to use a drive through car wash as long as you don't use the ones with the brushes.

If you need to use one with brushes, just clean it by hand yourself.

· Registered
60 Posts
Yeah I had something similar to that happen to me before too Upstate Tundra, it was swirls on the tailgate and it chipped the paint off my grill shell, i was so pissed at myself. Our trucks are just a little to big i think and they get to close to the jets, been thru a few others with the spinning paddle style instead of jets so much and its been fine. You could look up some stuff by wizards called shinemaster, that stuff is suppose to be really good. I bought some but have not used it yet, i have used there aluminum polish and it worked badass, another thing when waxing it instead of going in cirlces go longways with the truck, helps to rub the swirls down, so I have good luck doing it that way

· Registered
403 Posts
will our trucks even fit in an auto car wash? my Taco barely fit....

· Registered
60 Posts
Hard to say man, I have been thru 1 before with the jets and they get so close they leave swirls, i have been thru a few others that have the long arm sponge and the big roller cleaners and no problems. That was my problem with a crewmax, found the one that worked best for me and went to that one only even then still went home and polished it up and got the steaks off. 1 thing i can say is to try and stay away from the self brush at the car wash ppl use them things for everything and it will give you some crazy paint damage

· Registered
12 Posts
I'm new here, this is my first post. I own a car wash. We have a touchless automatic. We stayed away from the brush type automatic for just this reason. Touchless automatics are perfectly safe. As far as the self serve bays, ALWAYS rinse out the brush really good before you use it. You would be amazed at what the moron did with the brush before you pulled in. By the way, our Tundra goes through our wash EVERY day to check on it's operation and looks as good as the day we bought it. And, its never dirty :)

· Registered
8,147 Posts
If you have just minor scratches, any of those scratch repair kit should work fairly well.

Trucks are plentiful where I live, and if a car wash place does not accommodate trucks, it will go out of business pretty quickly.

I usually use touchless wash but used other types as well without a single issue.

· Registered
60 Posts
lucky! always nice to have a clean truck every day. Yeah some car wash bays can fit the big trucks, and some cant, sucks finding out when it's too late.

· Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I only have a leveling kit right now so my truck fits. I hope someday to get a 6" lift. Just frustrates me that first I have all the scratches and second it took the owner over two weeks to call.

· Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cdreed06......so what is the responsibility of the owner at this point.? I am guessing if he doesn't make it right I can take him to court? I am trying to do things civilly but not sure what his response will be if the wax job won't take care of the scratches. The scratches go from the front fender down the door to the rear if the truck. It even has scratches on what some people call the band aid between the the front and rear door. My truck is a crew max TRD rock warrior.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.