Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering how much sag I will experience when i install a shell on the truck. I have a 2015 TRD PRO. I previously had a 2008 TRD off road and it sagged alot. Not sure if the PRO suspension will be different? The last truck I put Ride rite air bags on to reduce the sag with the shell and also when i tow haul for camping.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I don't have a TRD, and I don't have a cap, so I should probably pass this one over. :|

Your cap weighs, what, 175-200 pounds? I can't imagine you saw ANY sag on your 2008, let alone your "fresher" 2015 TRD. The sag from load should be only slightly worse (load closer to the rear) than having one full-sized adult male in the back seat, or four bags of cement in the bed, which is to say, almost nothing. :scratchhead:

Unless...you've made some mods to your camper shell that have drastically increased the weight. :|

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I agree with OldGuy43. My '07 DC doesn't notice anything less than about 500 lbs and doesn't move much with 1200 lbs.
I once drove 220 miles of interstate with 3 in the cab and and a pallet of machine parts that weighed 2214 lbs loaded in the bed. The Tundra drove the same as it does empty, but rode a bit better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 2015 Pro with a CAP and did notice a sag with the Pro Shocks. I installed the RideRite Bags with the Wireless One controller and haven't looked back. I also see guys adding Coachbuilder Shims and Shackles to correct this issue but I like the bags myself. keep them at around 8psi when nothing loaded. As a side note I will be adding the Shims and Shackles when weather warms up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The shocks wouldn't make any difference in the "sag", only in the dynamic operation of the springs.

The spring rate, "K", is the determining factor. For heavy duty springs like the TRD Pro, the spring rate should be higher than stock springs, resulting in LESS deflection or sag for the same load: Force (Load) = K (spring rate) * X (deflection or sag).

Shocks only add a dampening effect to the springs' action; i.e. they resist changes in direction along the axis of the spring's movement.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not 100% positive but I do not think the springs are any different on a Pro than a Stock truck. just the Shocks. Anyway the point I was trying to make is that with the Cap on the TRD Pro there was a sag in the back end and air bags fixed that sag.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Huh. Well, I try to learn something every day.

Based on the TRD experience here, it almost sounds like TRD springs have a lower spring rate than a sedan. Now, four bags of cement, or salt pellets, in the trunk of "Fluff", my wife's 4Dr sedan...it would sag, but it would haul it with no problem. But sag from 200 pounds in a pickup?...that's strange. :disappointed:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I notice a sag when I get into the bed of the truck so it would be the same thing with a cap right. I don't notice the sag in my 2000 tundra due to the rake of the truck, but with my pro since it is already level, I do see it and even though it is slight it is more noticeable than a stock truck with a rake.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Don't confuse movement of your truck's bed when you climb aboard as "sag".

Sag implies the springs remain compressed the same amount after you quit moving around. What I would expect to happen is this: the springs would compress very slightly (maybe even some lateral movement as well) when you climb aboard; your perception is that this movement is "sag", but you really can't estimate objectively because you're standing in the bed with no good references. What happens next is the springs will return to near their unloaded length, simply because they are pickup springs with a pickup "K" factor, resulting in virtually NO sag.

But, I can't tell you what you are experiencing. A true test would be to get a chubby buddy to climb aboard while you, from a proper observation point, measure the rear bumper drop with a yard stick. If you come back and tell us the bumper dropped an inch...then, I'll think TRD is NOT what anyone wants for tow/haul.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
OK, curiosity overwhelmed me...I ran the test myself using my own non-TRD truck. The drop in the rear bumper height was more than I expected, but certainly not enough to be concerned about.

I climbed onto the rear bumper right over the hitch point, 198.8 pounds extended as far out from the rear axle as possible. I had my wife mark a stick before and after. The rear bumper dropped 11/16" - 3/4". With 200# distributed over the bed length, I'm guessing your "sag" will probably be about 9/16" - 5/8", since some of the cap "load" will be carried by the front wheels.

What, you TRD guys trying to get your Tundras perfectly level with a cap on the back? :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
no one wants a CA lift. Lol

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
no one wants a CA lift. Lol
HaHaHa...First vision that popped into my mind was a '50 Merc with the rear dragging the ground, windshield sun visor, some of those chrome half headlight covers with the jeweled visors, and a set of those old Olds tri-star spinner hub caps. Ah, forget it, you're probably not old enough to know what I'm talking about.

Not my style, but some of my contemporaries liked it. :lol:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a Pro with a Leer 100XL. I think it probably squats it a bit but the difference is in the fact the Pro sits 2” higher in the front than a regular tundra so if a shell drops any tundra say 1/2” then it’s not very noticeable on a regular Tundra, but on a Pro it seems a 1/2” is more noticeable.

I tow a fair amount with mine and also carry bed load of hunting gear frequently and personally like a truck to have some rake. Otherwise anytime you load it it looks like it’s overloaded.

Anyway, I have full Coachbuilder setup on mine which raises the rear 1.75” and front 1”.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a 2016 PRO with a heavy cap- Snugtop Pro loaded with tools and put the 3" Toyo Tech shackles on and it's perfect now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys, for the guys that don't have one the PRO is level unlike your regular raked Tundra.
Any drop makes the truck look uneven.
Thank you for the responses from the guys that actually have one and a cap. I'm probably going Ride rite again.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I don't have a TRD, and I don't have a cap, so I should probably pass this one over. :|...
Sorry. See, I told you I should pass this one over! :D

But, your post was about to slide off the bottom of the LONG list into oblivion, and sometimes all it takes is a single dumb-azz comment to bump you to the top and get you the answer you need. :D

You're welcome. :lol:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a Pro with a Leer 100XL. I think it probably squats it a bit but the difference is in the fact the Pro sits 2” higher in the front than a regular tundra so if a shell drops any tundra say 1/2” then it’s not very noticeable on a regular Tundra, but on a Pro it seems a 1/2” is more noticeable.

I tow a fair amount with mine and also carry bed load of hunting gear frequently and personally like a truck to have some rake. Otherwise anytime you load it it looks like it’s overloaded.

Anyway, I have full Coachbuilder setup on mine which raises the rear 1.75” and front 1”.

What kind of vent shades are those? I like them!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.