Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever had a problem trying to fill up? I can't seem to get it to take any gas.

2016 5.7 FFV Crewmax 49k miles.
Never used E85.
Never top off.
No check engine light.
Just started doing this last week.

Toyota diagnosed (charcoal canister over the phone) when I first encountered issue. I work out in the Oil and Gas industry. My truck has been sitting at my house for a week now. Any ideas?

Anyone ever change out the charcoal canister? Can't seem to find any info on anyone having issue with this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it sending fuel to engine ? Stuttering , stalling , excessive smoking / exhaust ?
Sounds strange to me . Fuel gauge working properly ? No water in the fuel tank?
Truck runs fine with no codes. Gauge working properly. Shouldn't have any water in the tank.

·
Registered
91 Posts
On other vehicles, I have seen caps from fuel injector cleaner/fuel treatment bottles get jammed in the filler tube restricting gas flow.

Buckaroo

·
Registered
737 Posts
Possibly the lower portion of the filler tube has a "roll over ball" and its stuck.

NOT positive gassers have this device ,, all my ram cummins did though.

THIS is a shot in the dark ,, more likly someone put something in there that stopped up the works.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Seen that condition on a customer’s Lexus once.
In that particular case, we found a pair of AA batteries stuck at the bottom of his filler tube after we lowered the tank.
Turned out his kids were playing in the garage and thought it was fun to drop them in there.
Ended up being a $400 game.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Have extended warranty. Of course it doesn't cover the charcoal canister. It was replaced this morning. Went to fill up. Still no luck. Came back and asked them to put my old one back. Currently being re-diagnosed. They said they might need to open up a case with Toyota. Currently waiting.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you run out of gas yet?:eek:
No. Didn't drive it much after I found out. I've been driving my wife's Tundra.

They replaced the charcoal canister after I told them I was pretty sure it wasn't the problem(I was guessing due to no CEL). Drove it to nearest gas station and.....still the same problem. My truck is currently still at dealership.

I am supposed to get a refund (almost 1100) back on Monday when the Service Manager talks to me. They said they have to open up a case with Toyota. I think their next move is to replace my fuel tank possibly.

·
Registered
261 Posts
No. Didn't drive it much after I found out. I've been driving my wife's Tundra.

They replaced the charcoal canister after I told them I was pretty sure it wasn't the problem(I was guessing due to no CEL). Drove it to nearest gas station and.....still the same problem. My truck is currently still at dealership.

I am supposed to get a refund (almost 1100) back on Monday when the Service Manager talks to me. They said they have to open up a case with Toyota. I think their next move is to replace my fuel tank possibly.
Thanks for keeping this thread up to date. It has to be frustrating. I'm interested in the solution. I haven't had this issue, but it will be a good thing to know.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would at a minimum buy an inspection camera or pull off the filler tube, both as suggested above, and take a look. A camera that uses your phone or tablet as the screen is less than 50 bucks. A new tank is going to be expensive and the tank itself is not likely to be the problem.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got a call from the Toyota dealership. They ordered me a new fuel tank. They believe the flapper inside is stuck. Luckily, I have the extended warranty and it covers it. I should have my truck by Wednesday.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Just got a call from the Toyota dealership. They ordered me a new fuel tank. They believe the flapper inside is stuck. Luckily, I have the extended warranty and it covers it. I should have my truck by Wednesday.
Makes me feel better about buying an extended warranty for my 2014.:)
I bought one for my 2005 and never used it..:eek:

Keep us posted...

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Makes me feel better about buying an extended warranty for my 2014.:)
I bought one for my 2005 and never used it..:eek:

Keep us posted...
I don't usually buy into the extended warranty thing, but I had just spun a bearing on my Evo and a sheared a cam shaft bolt that year on my JCW Mini that year. I spent almost 16k on motors that year before I bought my 2nd Tundra. I didn't want anymore out of pocket costs. So I said F it. Piece of mind is priceless. I'm glad I did now.

Although If I was going to pay for a new tank I would have gone with one of those transflow tanks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts