Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2019 long bed double cab. Looking at used canopies.... does anyone know what other truck models/years work with the 19 tundra?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
If You Find One, Lemme Know....

Hi all, I have a 2019 long bed double cab. Looking at used canopies.... does anyone know what other truck models/years work with the 19 tundra?

I have a 2014 DCLB--and the same question.

So far, I've not found any answer to it. By no means has my research been exhaustive, but the answers I've been able to get (either from cap dealers or, less often, the mfrs.) is that, due to the subtle redesign in 2014, caps that fit even the pre-2014 LB's will not fit 2014 and up.

But then, once I decided I want the A.R.E. "Walk-in Door" Option--which I believe only comes with their MX series, but that info is a year or two old--perhaps things have changed--I quit looking at other brands.

To my knowledge, neither Leer or any of the other, major brands except A.R.E. offer the "Walk-in Door" option. Which, you'll note, replaces your tailgate, but allows for the entire rear "wall" of the cap to ALSO open up, for items too large to fit through the "Walk-in Door."

And, per my discussions with a the factory, they DO offer a rear camera option that is "plug and play" with the OEM harness (on new builds only--not for a used MX-series, if you happened to have one).

But as of a year or two ago, not all A.R.E. dealers knew that the rear camera was even an option. (Big surprise, right? LOL)

You can see this cap/door option here:
https://www.4are.com/media_files/gallery/768/ARE_9410232.jpg

But now that I'm uncertain of what garage I'll be using, I may lack sufficient door height for the "hi-rise" style caps, and have to get a roof-height cap. So I'll be watching this thread to see what develops.

Best of luck in your search!

ToyotasForever

Attachments

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Try before you buy but 8' caps seem to be interchangeable. Late model Ford short bed are tapered on the 150's. Don't know about the longer bed or super duty

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.
TF, good luck with your search as well. That back door is really nice, but, I love my soft close tailgate...
I’m still not having much luck, will post as I go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I picked up a canopy. Off a late model Chevy circa 2003 or so. The taper is about righ on the length. Rake of the cab is off, but I am dealing with it. The tailgates on these newer rigs are elliptical also, making the door have some struggles.. but, compared to new, this was the right price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts