Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update: 2003 tundra sr5 rear wheel bearing (outer bearing) going out/rear bearing sound FIXED.
*FIXED: Can you identify this sound for me??? Please help!
Link to video on youtube: 03 tundra noise - YouTube

WHIRRING/RUBBING NOISE STARTS @:13, THE CLICKING NOISE IS MY KEYS SWINGING AROUND AND THE LOUDER BUMPING NOISES ARE ME HITTING HIGH SPOTS IN THE ROAD.
Strange whirring/rubbing type sound coming from rear passenger side wheel, I believe.
*Noise gets faster/slower with speed.
*Noise still happens when both rear wheels are jacked up off ground, and spinning freely.
* I jacked rear end up, took wheel off, no oil leaks or movement/play in the wheel assembly.
*Put spare on and it still make the noise.:(:eek: Help!?
*115k on the truck, checked diff oil and was full to the nut.
****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
UPDATE: IT WAS THE WHEEL BEARING! Replaced the rear, passenger side, outer axle/wheel bearing and seal. Noise is gone! Hooray! Side notes: Had the old bearing taken out and new one pressed in at the shop. Cost $50, plus they had to cut off something and put on a new one, not sure what it was, so that was another $30 for the part. Also, my brakes were spongy after we put everything back together and bled the brake system. Apparently, you need to let the rear brakes self adjust by driving in reverse and applying the E-brake and then release, and then apply the normal brake pedal, and release, and alternate this a few times, while driving in reverse. This allows the brake shoes to wiggle back and forth and that lets the auto adjustment on the brakes to self tighten. My brakes are feeling more normal now, and all is well.

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
how many miles?

Have you ever checked or changed the rear diff lube?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Sounds like you forgot to tighten your lug nuts all the way

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
It is hard to tell wtf from that vid to be honest, hence my asking questions...

by checking fluid, did you check it for metallic material or just make sure it was full?

by 100k, it needs changing....

Diffs are the most neglected maintenance item on any vehicle.... Next is the Tcase...

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
If the noise is coming from the end of the axle it's very likely the bearing. be careful though sounds like to travel in odd ways through metal. if you can get a mechanics stethoscope it will be a great help in pinpointing the source.

Reactions: britonmail

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just checked diff oil level, didn't drain it or anything. I'll drain it and check it soon. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
The title of this thread is unsettling...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Honestly, at first I thought it was going to be something like this:

:lol5::lol5::lol5::lol5::lol5::lol5::lol5::lol5:

Reactions: xma

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the noise is coming from the end of the axle it's very likely the bearing. be careful though sounds like to travel in odd ways through metal. if you can get a mechanics stethoscope it will be a great help in pinpointing the source.
You were spot on. We stuck the stethoscope on that sucker and sure enough we replaced the outer axle/wheel bearing and seal and NO MORE NOISE! Thank bro.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts