Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2018 5.7 tundra crewmax can I pull a 5th wheel with it? I'm thinking about get a keystone cougar 25res half ton. It weight about 7500 lbs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 5th wheel I'm looking at is the Cougar half ton 25res weight is 7630lb and hitch is 1505 lb. I have the 2018 Tundra crewmax short bed with towing package. I would use a Anderson hitch that is 60 lbs with a swing bar to extend the arm of the 5th wheel since I have a short bed. The dealership said that I should be able to pull this, but I'm think this is questionable and they are just trying to sell me a 5th wheel.

·
Registered
346 Posts
You'll probably be over your payload rating, however there are a number of people on here that are pulling 5th wheels. The overall weight isn't too much...well within the tow rating. You'd probably need airbags or add a leaf at a minimum.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
You will be over on pin weight and will need Timbrens in the rear or air bags. I went with the Timbrens (never have to mess with and still have stock ride) and the Anderson hitch. Are you sure you will need the adapter? The hitch spins around to offset the ball. You may have done that already.
My 5th wheel (GD Reflection 150 series 295rl) is 9000 lbs unloaded and 1380 pin. Truck does fine with this setup. I do a lot more coastal driving then the mtn's but have done both. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You will be over on pin weight and will need Timbrens in the rear or air bags. I went with the Timbrens (never have to mess with and still have stock ride) and the Anderson hitch. Are you sure you will need the adapter? The hitch spins around to offset the ball. You may have done that already.
My 5th wheel (GD Reflection 150 series 295rl) is 9000 lbs unloaded and 1380 pin. Truck does fine with this setup. I do a lot more coastal driving then the mtn's but have done both. Let me know if you have any questions.
Hi, Are you towing it with a Tundra? I see GD has smaller versions with a hitch weight of 1100 lbs. I don't plan on living in it full time so I don't need a 30'.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes with a 2011 dc 4x4. They make really nice campers.
I think I'm going to cancel my order for the keystone 25res and go look at GD. I have a passport travel trailer now so there is no rush to get a 5th wheel, it will just be easier for me to handle by myself. I

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the same truck but a 2012. It's payload is 1,400 pounds. I personally don't think the Tundra has enough payload after adding my family of five.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
For what it's worth, I don't like 5th wheels. I had a couple, and I was always worried about bouncing some part of the camper off my truck. Granted, that was my Chevy, but I would have the same concerns with my Tundra: I like to camp where the roads are NOT paved, and most often you'll find water bars and some twist between the TV and camper. For that reason I went back to bumper pull (travel trailer). I actually touched the truck bed sides and the camper a few times, and couldn't get to my favorite elk hunting camp with the camper because of the water bars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2018 5.7 tundra crewmax can I pull a 5th wheel with it? I'm thinking about get a keystone cougar 25res half ton. It weight about 7500 lbs.
I pull a Forest River Arctic Wolf 35 ft. 5th wheel with my 2010 crew max. It is super charged and I do have timbrens on the rear leafs. The truck has 247,000 miles on it and still tows wonderful. I am most likely overlimit but with the timbrens their is no uncomfortable ride.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts