Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left New Orleans, LA on Thursday morning for Cleveland, OH and did not get back till midnight on Sunday. I parked my truck at home with the battery stabilizer plugged in.

This morning as i warm up the truck to go to work i notice the engine oil gauge seating below L. When i got to work the needle went a bit above the L. Everything seems normal except the engine oil gauge. I have no engine oil leak and i changed the oil a month ago. I checked the oil it show full but the gauge looks messed up. Here is some photo:

All the gauges look normal

Here is the engine oil gauge after 7 miles drive home

FYI, it was cold in the past couple day but not that cold in the 50's :lol5:. Oh, i hide the battery stabilizer ballast under the oil pan on top of the cross over.

Do you think my sensor went bad?

What do you recommend the course of action?

Reactions: Ogtoyfan

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very well could be
I hope it doesn't require a lot of work to replace the sensor. Getting ready to send the truck to the deal for SC install in the next couple weeks. If i have to replace it i will have them take care of it while they are working on the truck.

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
I hope it doesn't require a lot of work to replace the sensor. Getting ready to send the truck to the deal for SC install in the next couple weeks. If i have to replace it i will have them take care of it while they are working on the truck.
I had a titan n it did the same thing happened to it. On the titan it was real easy to change, the same thing as removing the oil drain plug. Hopefully it is the same on the tundra

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope so. Will find out when i get it to the dealer.

·
"The Midnight Modder"
11,213 Posts
i had that happen to my hilux years ago. my oil screen had sludge build up which was causing drop in pressure. i did not oil change regularly. i would still get checked because it could mean oil is not getting to where it is supposed to.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i had that happen to my hilux years ago. my oil screen had sludge build up which was causing drop in pressure. i did not oil change regularly. i would still get checked because it could mean oil is not getting to where it is supposed to.

I did an oil change less than 300 miles ago using mobil 0-20w. I will definitely have it check to make sure. The truck has 81K without any leak so i hope just the sensor needs to be replace.

·
Premium Member
10,982 Posts
You checked it when it was cold or after you started it up? That looks low on the dipstick to me. There's a puddle on the tip but the rest looks like smear.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You checked it when it was cold or after you started it up? That looks low on the dipstick to me. There's a puddle on the tip but the rest looks like smear.

Check it again this morning before i start the truck and it was at the second dot.

Well after spending $62 at the dealer i learned that my stupid mechanic unplug the sensor when he did the oil change 200 miles ago :lol5:.

·
Registered
323 Posts
happy to hear it was an easy fix ....

G

·
Well after spending $62 at the dealer i learned that my stupid mechanic unplug the sensor when he did the oil change 200 miles ago :lol5:.
Wanted you to come back for some bonus money? Sounds like you need to post a copy of your diagnostic sheet on yelp and find a new mechanic.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
I think a pretty good rule of thumb is to not drive with low/no oil pressure. Even if it might be a sensor. Wouldn't it have sucked to burn down an engine driving 200 miles with low/no oil pressure?

My truck doesn't move until I watch the oil pressure gauge stop rising.

Reactions: Sngo

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think a pretty good rule of thumb is to not drive with low/no oil pressure. Even if it might be a sensor. Wouldn't it have sucked to burn down an engine driving 200 miles with low/no oil pressure?

My truck doesn't move until I watch the oil pressure gauge stop rising.
I totally agree with you and fortunately the dealer is nearby. I'm wondering how much they will charge to tow my truck to the dealer :eek:

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
I totally agree with you and fortunately the dealer is nearby. I'm wondering how much they will charge to tow my truck to the dealer :eek:
Well, I think I remember seeing a new engine cost about 12,000.00. The tow cost might not be so bad.

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
I didn't finish the whole story, when I had my titan I seen my oil pressure gage on L because I didn't have enough oil in it (forgot how it happened) so when I checked the dipstick a lil smoke came out & my sensor didn't work after that til I replaced it. The sensor just burned out. Anyways I ran with the proper amount of oil for about a week n had no probs with the engine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
408 Posts
sounds fishy.
why would they disconnect the sensor when changing the oil? :confused:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts