Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Car like ride? No, not really.

But, more sidewall on P-Metric tires and weight over the rear axle will help.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sequoia is pretty a Tundra isn’t it? I imagine it’s a smoother ride. Wondering if softer socks and B instead of C tires would help.

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
Sequoia has independent rear suspension.
It's also heavy and had P tires from factory.
Tundra is a truck, with rear leafs and solid axle.
For hauling and towing. Truck stuff.
I have E tires and my truck still soaks up the bumps better than my wife's last 3 small SUVs.
You can feel every crack and pebble in a car.
Aside from that, anything you do to soften the ride will also soften your payload and towing.
So why not get a big heavy SUV like the Sequoia at that point?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Switching to a SUV is becoming an option actually. Maybe a Yukon? I tow 99% of the time. But still want a softer ride. Toyota Sequoia is an option. Though haven’t driven one yet. I have been in a Yukon. It was plushy. I’m lookin for plushy. My 2015 still has enough resale value to do something

·
Registered
528 Posts
My short wheel base '07 Tundra rides more like an old Firebird / Camaro without the frame & body flex, and it corners surprisingly well with minimal body roll thanks to rear suspension mods and street tires.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
When my 2014 DC SR5 had the stock black shocks, it did ride like a car, or more like a boat..
My 2005 DC rode more like a car than my 2014.
@RugDog did you not drive it before you bought it?

A rear sway bar well help with body roll on turns, but it won't change the ride going down a straight road..

As @H2O MAN stated, the more weight in the rear of the bed, the smoother it rides.
Try a few bags of sand or dirt back there and see if changes anything..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah. I drove it before I bought it. I was trading a Ram 2500 diesel. Which was way rougher, so the Tundra was great. But, after a few years, I’d like to improve the ride.

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's a truck so it's built to haul and tow things, hence the rough(er) ride. The suspension in the rear is the main culprit. If you load the rear leaf springs a little it makes a fairly dramatic difference. I had a 15 double cab and had the same sentiments as you in regards to the ride. I ended up putting a 2x8 in the rear bed divider slots and then loaded the rear of the truck with some sand tubes from Lowes. I think I had 180lbs between the rear divider and tailgate. It really helped me with a lot of my ride problems, especially on segmented concrete highways. I swear if my wife didn't wear a sports bra on a segmented concrete highways she would knock herself out. The weighted bed comes at the cost of fuel economy, though. I never calculated it out but it was noticeable.

I was never able to be happy with that solution, mainly because I use the bed a lot and got sick of loading 180lbs of sand in and out of it so I just picked up a 19 TRD Pro. While it's not like a car it's many times better.

One thing I could never understand about my 15 was that it was branded as a TRD Off-Road. While I don't do any rock crawling or anything like that I do live in Oregon and spend a lot of time on mountain trails and logging roads. While I had ground clearance and ruggedness to handle the terrain the suspension would buck me so hard I can't count how many times I bounced my head off of the side window.

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
My platinum rides like shit empty and on the road, which in full disclosure do suck here in IL.

My ram rode LIGHT YEARS better.

That said, I put a sand bad tube 60lbs on each side of the bed all the way in the rear, and it did smooth it out considerably.

Its still a truck and rides like one but it's a little better now.

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
I'd look at the F150 too.
When I got my CM in 2011, one of my hunting buddies bought a 2011 F150. It rode like a Lincoln Town car.
Pretty sure they still have the same suspension setup.

·
Registered
773 Posts
When my 2014 DC SR5 had the stock black shocks, it did ride like a car, or more like a boat..
My 2005 DC rode more like a car than my 2014.

@RugDog did you not drive it before you bought it?

A rear sway bar well help with body roll on turns, but it won't change the ride going down a straight road..
N
As @H2O MAN stated, the more weight in the rear of the bed, the smoother it rides.
Try a few bags of sand or dirt back there and see if changes anything..
I dought anyone interested in a car type ride in a truck will grab a few bags of sand , and shoulda bought a Honda Ridgeline .

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
A few bags of sand works really well for a better ride imo. It also smooths out axle hop a bit which is bad in the tundra on shitty roads

And I don’t want a Honda Ridgeline lol

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
You know what is odd?
My truck rides better with my wife in the passenger's seat.
She only weighs about 105#....:eek:

·
Registered
528 Posts
My 2002 rides like the proverbial Cadillac, big Michelin LT tires and a heavy LEER top with a daily load of approximately 600 lbs in the bed. The ride is smooth & insulated - it's great for long road trips, but it's not as sporty as my 2007 in the handling department.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts