Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a BDS 4.5" lift but may want a little more lift and was wondering if I could use some bilsteins adjustable 5100 shocks to aquire that difference? Any opinions is appreciated. Thanks. My thing is I currently have a 3/2 lift but dont really want to go as high as a 7" BDS.

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't see why not. You lookin for middle setting and 6" lift or something?

The difference between putting the preload shim on your factory struts to get the 7", and using the 5100's is about 0. The bds preload shim basically does the same exact thing as the 5100 does, it raises the coil seat to compress the coils, which provides more lift. Bilstein 5100's supposedly have some kind of magical valving or something though :dunno:

I assume you are 4x4, or else you would have already considered the maxtrac or cst 3.5" lift spindles, right? Both of those kits can be combined with your 3" spacer for 6.5" lift, or combined with the 5100's for 5.25" or 6" lift, for a lot cheaper than the bds.
Yea it's 4x4. Remember my silver tundra at the meets. Just looking to go a little higher but really not thinking 7" would be a good idea with just 35's. still need the wife to get in ok without cussing me out every time. I recently added Amp steps so that will help alot over the stock steps. I like the BDS kit cause it has the lifetime warranty and skid plate but is it really worth justifying over the zone 5 which is $700 cheaper. I'm still concerned about my rockstar wheels on the off set. Not sure what they really are but I added 1.5" spacers to et the better stance look with my BW flares. I don't see why I would have a problem using them with a lift but need to make sure I guess.

· Registered
446 Posts
Yes you should be able to I don't see why not.
Hope you do it, would be the route I'd like to go on my next truck. See how high I can go to get it in the garage for winter.

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, didn't know you were a CFL guy :lol: I think I remember you now, you had your son with you, right?

Ask pitbull joe about that bds warranty :yesnod:

Get the zone dude.
Lol yea that's me Sam. Yea really thinking about doing the zone. What's the best way to deal with the speedo after bigger tires?

Reactions: Bad Dad's Camrys

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sam I have the rockstar 20" wheels. Not sure what's back spacing is but when I put my BW flares on I wanted my tires to be out to edge or just past the flare so I ordered 1.5" spacers. They are perfect now. Do you think I will be on with this set up or how do I go about finding out if it will work.

· Registered
1,546 Posts
not sure if youll be able to run 5100s with either lifts due to the strut extension. not sure if they have the same girth. if they do, then sure y not.

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, you'll be fine. The spacers basically added about -38mm offset. If you are worried about spindle or uca clearance, don't worry, you have more than enough. Is that what you are asking or am I misunderstanding you?
That's what I was kinda thinking since I'm good now but just wanted to make sure. I hate the need to run these spacers but without them the stance sucks. It looks good now. I don't really want to go through getting different wheels right now plus I do t mind these. Thanks for the help and we need to get another get together soon.

Reactions: Bad Dad's Camrys

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not sure if youll be able to run 5100s with either lifts due to the strut extension. not sure if they have the same girth. if they do, then sure y not.
Good point. I think it will be ok. I wanna day I read in the BDS instruction you can use either the yellow bilsteins or 5100. Have to make sure though. Thanks again

· Registered
1,546 Posts
^^^that's a good point, and something I hadnt thought about. :banghead:

I assumed the girth/thickness of the shock tubes were the same, but you should verify before you order. Nice catch pngo :thumbsup:
i know the trd struts vs the tokico black struts have different girths for sure. other than that im not sure of the aftermarket ones. goodluck 2qk4u! maybe you can be the first to experiment. haha.

· Registered
446 Posts
I thought some one tried this already and had a hard time keeping his alignment? It's a black crewmax with black 22s and 35s don't remember his name?

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought some one tried this already and had a hard time keeping his alignment? It's a black crewmax with black 22s and 35s don't remember his name?
Hmmm now u got me worried now. Maybe BDS will know

· Registered
1,546 Posts
i think this guy tried the 5100s with a spacer. this was done without the diff drop and knuckles. unless we're talking about different people then i dont know.

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To go from bds 4.5 to bds 7, a shim is added, and the suspension can handle it.

There's no reason that I can think of that you can't add other components to a bds 4.5 as long as you stay close to 7" or so of lift.

Hell, you can add a 2" top spacer for 6.5" and be totally good, and be able to get an alignment. Top spacers and shims provide similar lift, just by different methods.
Good point Sam. Think I'm just going to do the zone 5 and use my stock Bilsteins up front. I'm thinking it wi be high enough for me and especially the wife. I'm sure she will bitch about it for a while anyway at that height. I can't see there bring a big difference in the 5100 an the stock bilsteins anyway. What do you all think te difference would be?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.