Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, can someone tell me if there is an aftermarket speaker that fits inplace of the stock dash speakers? im wanting to change out my door speakers and was thinking of going with Alpine Type R 6.5" speakers and im wondering also am i going to hae a hard time with these fitting? will there be alot of modding? also any Alpine recommendation for the dash? size? Thanks alot

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
185 Posts
The dash speakers are 3.5" I believe, I've seen a few people make their own mounts and put tweeters in that spot.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
617 Posts
You will have to trim some of the plastic up top for a 3.5 to drop in. Wasn't too bad with a utility knife. I am running tweeters there now. I tried 3.5 Infinity Kappas but couldn't get them to blend in with the mid basses in the door. They were overpowering mounted up that high and I wasn't ready to go active or try to place an L-Pad in to control them better.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
3.5" in the dash is simple. Little bit of trimming but not hard just make sure you get a 3.5" that the tweeter doesn't stick too far up on. For the 6.5" in the doors just trace the factory speaker on a piece of 3/4" mdf cut a hole in the center for the 6.5 then cut out the panel and mount it where the factory speaker was, mount your new 6.5 to that and your good to go. Not a hard project I do them at work all the time takes me a out 30 min to do mids and tweeters in the front of a tundra if you have never done it before it still won't take more than a couple hours.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would caution you against using a component set up front and also putting 3.5" speakers in the dash. The 3.5" will often overpower the tweeters from the component set and really mess with the front image. I tried it when I was running my Polk Momo front stage and I was very frustrated with the tuning I had to do and never could get it to sound right. If you want speakers in the dash, use an adapter and put your tweeters there.

As for the front separates, I'm assuming you're talking about the Alpine SPR-60C. They are decent but I think ther is better out there for the money. The Hertz DSK 165 is a great system as well as the CDT CL-61 and the Image Daynamics CTX65cs. If you're talikng about the Alpine SPR-17S components, then I would step up tot he CDT HD-62 or the Hertz ESK 165 or the Boston Acoustics SC60 or the RE Audio XXX series.

Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Registered
13,899 Posts
I had planned on doing a bi-axial mount with my components and sticking tweeters with the 6.75 in the door, however after reading issues about doin 3.5 in dash I figured I would stick tweeter in dash first and if I don't like it worry about it later as less people have issues with tweeters in dash as 3.5's in dash do...

This is from what I read.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I had planned on doing a bi-axial mount with my components and sticking tweeters with the 6.75 in the door, however after reading issues about doin 3.5 in dash I figured I would stick tweeter in dash first and if I don't like it worry about it later as less people have issues with tweeters in dash as 3.5's in dash do...

This is from what I read.
You could do what I did, I have the focal 165 vr3 set. It is quite a pita to put the 4" in the dash but the sound is amazing. I run the 6.5" in the door, the tweeters in the sail ( I bought factory limited grills) and the 4" in the dash. The reason the 3.5" usually screw up the sound being in the dash is because most people run a co axial and tweeters sound really harsh playing off the glass and tend to over power everything. But running my midrange up there has really improved the soundstage and I absolutely love it. I have done the same thing for a few customers but used the hertz 3 way component set and for a DIY I would strongly recommend them be ause the mid is smaller the focal 4" was a pain but totally worth the effort.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts