Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a TT that says its 7100lbs dry and has a hitch weight of 860lbs. i am not worried about towing the weight, but what i am unsure of is the weight on the truck. I know that with 860+me+the wife+the kids and any other gear i will be well over the 7200gvrw that my 07 crewmax says inside the door. I see you all towing this big stuff, and i have as well, lst month i towed 13k of rock on a trailer but had it laoded so the truck was not squatting to bad. what is your take on the camper it is a 31ft. ?

·
Registered
491 Posts
One thing you have to remember is never go off of dry weights. They are with no tanks or batteries or anything in storage. So 7100 lbs dry is probably closer to 7500 when you get it and then with propane tanks and batteries on the tongue your weight goes from 860lbs to probably 1000 pounds. It's that said I have a toy hauler with a loaded weight of about 6800 lbs and a the tongue of around 1000 lbs of not a little over. You need a good weight distribution hitch. I have a equalizer brand with 4 point sway control. I have the 1200/12000 model. And with a properly adjusted hitch only 80% on the weight should be on the truck. So if you have a tongue weight of 1000 loaded then only 800 should be on truck. 10-15% of the loaded trailer should be on the back of your truck for safe pulling with out sway. So considering your camper will probably be 7500 dry you will probably be around 8000-8500 loaded so really you would need 850-900 pounds of tongue weight. And yes you will be at your trucks gvwr but don't exceed it if you can help it. When I weighed my truck last time it came in at 7220. So 20 lbs over but the rear axle gross weight is 4150 and my rear axle weight was only at 3980. I am comfortable with that and the truck pulls and handles fine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
478 Posts
My 30' toy hauler dry tongue weight is 870. I never have weighed it but I am probably at the 900-1000 lb range loaded with a Equilizer 4 point sway hitch same as the poster above mine is the 1200/12000 hitch. Truck pulls the load fine, stops fine, no sway at highway speeds, truck sits level as does camper. My only issue is the ride can be rough on bad roads. All that tension at the hitch has to go somewhere and some of it goes back into the truck resulting in a harsh ride. Air bags on the rear of my truck might help this but I have not added them yet.

Other than that I have no issue with my truck and camper setup. It is what it is. Btw we typically haul with nothing in the truck except me my wife and a 48 qt cooler in the back of the truck ( I like a cold beer once I get where I'm going and setup ).

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
You won't have any issue with that setup. My trailer is 33' total length with a dry hitch weight of 900lbs. I run the Equalizer 12000 hitch setup and airbags and the truck handles it with no problems. If you aren't lifted or leveled, you won't need the bags either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My travel Trailer has a ready to camp tongue weight of 950 lbs as measured by a certified tongue scale. The truck weighs 5680 (with me, full tank, normal items in truck) on a CAT Scale. 7200-5680 = 1520 payload for me. After the trailer I have 570 lbs to play with. After the wife (150) dog (160) son (50) that leaves me 270 lbs left. I rarely put anything in the bed (electric smoker or blue boy). I am close and am very careful about how I load the truck when towing.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The truck weighs 5680 (with me, full tank, normal items in truck) on a CAT Scale. 7200-5680 = 1520 payload for me. After the trailer I have 570 lbs to play with.
This works for you but the OP has a CrewMax, payload is only 1300lbs to start out with, nothing in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts