Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I am thinking of getting a snugtop shell for my truck and was wondering if anyone noticed any change in the bed bounce. I'm hoping it improves the ride and not makes it worse. Anyone with a shell notice any change?

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
A shell doesn't weigh a lot so it does help a little. I find having one makes carrying stuff much easier. Plus you can carry stuff back there that adds weight until you are happy.

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
OP I heard the same from other top owners that have the bounce. When they added the shell it took away the bounce.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
^^DITTO what he said, from personal experience. ^^^

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I think that mine helps some, but does not completely get rid of it.
It seems that bed bounce is speed dependent and the cap changes the speed where it occurs.
For example: there is a section of I90 West of Syracuse that was repaved last year. At 65 through that section, the bed bounce is bad but at 75 it is hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Is there a rule of thumb for weight required to tame bounce? [Sorry, am new here, don't know (yet) if there are threads going over bounce or not.]

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Is there a rule of thumb for weight required to tame bounce? [Sorry, am new here, don't know (yet) if there are threads going over bounce or not.]
I don't recall anyone ever publishing anything about it. It seems like the more weight you add the better it gets.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Bounce? Wait a minute, what is causing the bounce in the first place? I haven't bought yet, hoping the air induction pump mess is fixed, now a bounce? For me, I won't depend on weight to control bounce.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I can't say I've experienced bounce with or without my shell on. I think some people have it and some don't. I do have a 6" lift on mine.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
I just took my bed cap off last week. Holy shit was the ride bad. I drove 300 highway miles, told the wife the cap was going back on as soon as I could find time.

YES! The ride is hugely better with the cap.

KO

·
Registered
830 Posts
That is interesting. I recall driving mine a few weeks ago, towing an itty bitty trailer, and having bounce on what I thought was smooth road, and being confused as to why it was happening. Last night I drove it on a dirt road, and on the sections with washboard and a corner it was downright treacherous. Wanted to come right around on me, VSC kicked on several times, had to use 4HI to calm it down. No problems on that road in my car.

·
Registered
341 Posts
That is interesting. I recall driving mine a few weeks ago, towing an itty bitty trailer, and having bounce on what I thought was smooth road, and being confused as to why it was happening. Last night I drove it on a dirt road, and on the sections with washboard and a corner it was downright treacherous. Wanted to come right around on me, VSC kicked on several times, had to use 4HI to calm it down. No problems on that road in my car.
I just wonder how it compares to other trucks? Memo to self - test drive on bumpy road. Not hard to find in my area!

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm getting very curious now. I had been on the fence about getting a cap; I want one and I don't want one. Like, this weekend I'm thinking about getting a load of mulch to do some yardscaping. Easier w/o the cap. OTOH, I bought the truck for camping trips, where a cap would allow me a great place to store and transport my bicycle. Also, living in New England means I want something on the bed to keep the snow out. I was thinking of a cheapo aluminum cap, something I could easily move around, as a compromise; now I'm thinking I want the heavy cap instead of using sandbags in the bed.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Snugtop Snugpro

I have a Snugtop Snugpro for about a year now. I'm loving this topper. Yes the bed bounce is not longer an issue, however, my rig is 'the fattest girl at the prom'...I did notice that the ride was much better following the cap, cabinets and other stuff. I do have to qualify this statement by saying that I have upgraded my rear leaf springs from stock leafs + Deaver add-a-leaf, to OME Dakar CS055R springs + Air Lift Loadlifter 5,000 air bags...Smooth riding now, and I'll never be in want for additional suspension tweaks...

Regards,

BWJ

·
Registered
830 Posts
Wowzer! That's quite the setup!

·
Registered
66 Posts
2012 DC 4x4 with Leer Topper. No bed bounce when the cap is on, but minimal with it off.

BTW,

I've been watching BWJ over at the ExPo site and wanting to aquire a similar bumper for my Tundra and Four Wheel Camper...

Will be checking in with him via PM soon unless I come across the site for the bumper manufacturer beforehand.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Nice rig BWJ. Do you know how much weight all that gear added?

I have a leer topper and didn't really notice any difference before or after.

Reactions: Gustave

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I just wonder how it compares to other trucks? Memo to self - test drive on bumpy road. Not hard to find in my area!
I have driven a Silverado over one stretch of road that causes my Tundra to bounce. It was much WORSE than the Tundra.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks for everyones insight. I found a fantastic deal on a used snugtop supersport. Bed bounce is all but gone and the roads in san diego are horrible. What a difference.

If anyone is interested in a vanish tounno cover, ive got a great one for sale. Only 6months old. PM me.

Reactions: mendonsy
1 - 20 of 24 Posts