Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just picked up a 2011 Tundra off road package with the extended cab and 5.7 V8. I want to add a back up camera, and I saw the wire by the wheel so I am pre-wired, but my question is:

Everything I have seen says that the connector for the back up camera is in the headliner for use with a mirror screen, but people have posted pics of double din nav setups. Is there a connector for the camera in the dash as well or would I have to run some wires to use an in dash nav unit?

Thanks, love the truck so far.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Run some wires. You can get to the wires in the driver's side A pillar. You have to run power to there to power the camera and splice the wires to run a coax from there to the head unit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So the wires that go up there run up the A pillar? That makes it easy, just grab them before they get up there.

I can't use the power line that is already run? It is 6.5v but I am sure I can do something like what you did (I think it was your thread) to convert it to 12 if I have to, or maybe just unhook it and splice it into a 12v supply.

I am currently thinking one of the portable GPS boxes, one with blue tooth, as a screen and create a mount that attaches and comes through the center speaker mesh. Need to find one with a video input, not sure if there even are any. With the blue tooth, I can use it on my motorcycle too and it should work through the stock stereo for nav use.

Actually, I just realized that will not have the switch for the camera so will have to wire in some sort of switch. I can run that to one of the blanks I guess.

·
13,742 Posts
Only the OEM camera uses 6v. Most all the rest use 12v. There is a 12v power wire there and you can use it. Not sure what kind of draw the other cameras use which is why I suggest getting the power from somewhere else like the head unit power or cigarette lighter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So basically use the wire from the harness that goes to the camera, but unhook it from the 6v and hook it to the cigarette lighter. Then run tie off the end that goes up to the headliner and just run new wires through the dash. Going to need to get power for the GPS anyways.

Did a little looking for a portable GPS that has video input, found a couple but nothing that has bluetooth too so I can hook it to the com system in my bike helmet. If I find one, I will start really planning out how to do this.

For the reverse switch, is that something the cameras are set up to turn on and off or would I need some sort of switch inline with the power?

Also any suggestions for a camera? I saw the one people are cutting into the handle to install, there is also the license plate type.

I just saw an add for a camera powered by the backup lights, is that something people do too? Would solve the switching problem at the same time.

·
13,742 Posts
There is no 6v. The OEM screen provided the 6v.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh ok. I am going to read through the other threads and get a better idea how it all works before I ask more stupid questions. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Way late to this party, but maybe someone here found something out 9 years ago. I just installed a new DDIN H/U in my daughters truck. 2011/4.6/DC w/ camera in the rear view mirror. I would like to move the camera from the mirror to the HU (or both), but I'm too lazy to pull the apiller and/or splice from the headliner.

There are 3 unused harnesses in the dash behind the radio. I can't figure out what they were for. The radio was the non-JBL, non-nav plain old boring radio. These were plugged in, but I can't for the life of me figure out what they are for.
The steering wheel controls work, so it can't be those. All the speakers work. Maybe the blue on is the mic? I was too tired to probe voltages when I was installing the radio - I just wanted to be done. Could there be a rear-cam feed in one of those connectors?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts