Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I stopped by my buddies shop tonight to have him look at installing my level kit. While browsing up in the wheel well he pointed out a pretty decent oil leak that the truck has on both driver and passenger sides. It appears to be below the actual valve cover and more right under the cam tower. The truck is a 2011 4.6 with only 30,000 miles so he informed me to "Get the damn thing into Toyota before the Bumper to Bumper is gone cause that's quite a pricy fix." I was searching around the forum and it doesn't look like many others have had an issue. Is it just my luck? I just bought the truck 2 months ago and have finally stopped receiving crap from all of my diehard bowtie friends and now I'm embarrased to let them know about this! :eek:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, so after more searching, it appears I'm not the only one......But it still sucks! End rant :rolleyes:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sorry to say it, but I research all the truck forums I could find, and it seems like Toyota Tundra is faring no better than the other three main makers.

Reactions: Alien15645

·
Registered
669 Posts
I had the cam tower leak as well. I expressed by displeasure with Toyota in a professional way and received a platinum warranty (7yr/100k).

Reactions: Dixon Cider

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the cam tower leak as well. I expressed by displeasure with Toyota in a professional way and received a platinum warranty (7yr/100k).
Can you please describe this "professional" way of talking to Toyota in exact words so I can repeat it to them? :D I thought about trying something like that but beings I didn't purchase the truck new I figured it wouldn't be worth my time.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Dear Toyota,
My name is <first name, last name> and the VIN for my 2011 Tundra with 16,900 miles is 5TFUYxxxxxxxxxxxx.
Congratulations on receiving a top score from Consumer Reports Reliability Rankings and for receiving JD Power and Associates award for dependability, 7 years in a row.
Unfortunately, I am not able celebrate this achievement with you. Currently my Tundra is having the camshaft tower seals replaced, which I understand is a big repair job as it requires dismantling part of the engine.
This is my first Toyota purchase. The main reasons for me choosing Toyota over Ford, GM, etc. are quality and reliability.
I would like Toyota to extend my drive train warranty beyond the standard warranty that came with my Tundra. This goodwill gesture would bolster my confidence in the reasons I made in purchasing a Toyota.

·
Registered
669 Posts
My point was Toyota has built a reputation of quality and reliability. But as you can read "I wasn't seeing it". So, with that in mind I felt it is reasonable for Toyota to back their product. And after some email chatting, Toyota did acquiesce.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the response! I've got an appointment this Thursday to have them "investigate" the issue before they actually schedule the service. I guess we'll see what kind of experience I receive from this dealership that I haven't dealt with at all yet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The first error you made is you grabbed the 4.6 just saying.
Yeah, I was looking for months and finally came across this truck which was about 5 grand cheaper than one optioned the same with the 5.7. Don't get me wrong, I almost didn't buy it based on the engine size but I convinced myself that I don't pull a damn thing and it's still more power then my previous Silverado. On top of that, I've been on the road the last two weeks for work averaging 20 mpg, so I've got that going for me! ;)

·
Registered
669 Posts
You're welcome :)
This should fall under the drive-train warranty, which is 5yrs60K.
When expressing my concern, I went directly to Toyota, I did not involve the dealership at all. Also, Toyota paid for the rental, which I had for about 5 days. This time period included hurricane Sandy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I took it into the dealer and they replaced the valve cover gaskets. :rolleyes: I informed them that due to their being no oil directly below the valve covers and instead all on the flange below that I don't believe this is going to correct anything. However I let them put new gaskets on and everything is cleaned up so now I just get to keep an eye out on it. Less then 6000 miles left on my bumper to bumper so hopefully gaskets ARE covered on the powertrain warranty if need be. I've heard both covered and not covered depending on who I talk to. It sounds like more folks on here are saying it should be covered though so hopefully that's the case. Thanks for the help everybody! Now on to a 3" level kit next week and more "fun" stuff!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, That didn't take long! Not even a week after replacing the valve cover gaskets I have seepage showing on both sides again. I took it in and they seemed not terribly surprised. It's scheduled to go in on Friday again so they can "diagnose" the issue. I've already spelled the issue out for them so nothing like another day with no vehicle for them to tell me what I've been telling them all along. It's pretty dang irritating not having a vehicle and having them only offer to shuttle me around! :mad:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Best of luck to you. Mine is currently in the shop getting fixed for a cam tower leak as well. I got the run around the first time around too, said it was just water and settled dirt :mad: They cleaned it and said keep an eye on it. Took it in the second time and they acknowledged it.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
It is not as common as you might be led to believe on the internet, it does happen but not on most trucks

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Happened to my truck about a month and a half ago...had to replace everything and remove the engine...at 16,000 miles ...disappointment...got nothing out of it and had to fight for a rental car for three days...i already bought the 100,000 mile warranty when I bought the truck ...ahhh...most of the time it is always a 11' ....something went wrong there I guess....

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
My 2010 has it. I'm not doing a damn thing till I have a noticeable loss of oil (or I get close to the end of my 100k warranty)

No way in hell I'm letting those dumbasses take my truck apart at 60k miles so I can have constant issues with it afterwards. Ill get it fixed later and trade it in.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My 2010 has it. I'm not doing a damn thing till I have a noticeable loss of oil (or I get close to the end of my 100k warranty)

No way in hell I'm letting those dumbasses take my truck apart at 60k miles so I can have constant issues with it afterwards. Ill get it fixed later and trade it in.

Yeah, I'm definitely not confident in looking at the mechanics at my local dealership. Hopefully they can figure out the puzzle of engine pieces without leaving me any "extra" pieces. :) Righty tighty, Lefty loosey!:D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just got back from the dealership after having an appointment scheduled to have the cam tower leak fixed in only one day.:rolleyes: After they had it for the day they called me to inform me that it was a little more involved then they were thinking and they need to order an engine rebuild kit to get the parts that they need and they also need remove the cab of the truck to fix it?!! :confused::eek: What the hell?! I'm not happy at all about them having to dig this far into it. Starting to get really pi$$ed and I just want it all done cause I just ordered wheels and tires and want to get the dang things on and begin enjoying my truck!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Just got back from the dealership after having an appointment scheduled to have the cam tower leak fixed in only one day.:rolleyes: After they had it for the day they called me to inform me that it was a little more involved then they were thinking and they need to order an engine rebuild kit to get the parts that they need and they also need remove the cab of the truck to fix it?!! :confused::eek: What the hell?! I'm not happy at all about them having to dig this far into it. Starting to get really pi$$ed and I just want it all done cause I just ordered wheels and tires and want to get the dang things on and begin enjoying my truck!
Run the eff away from that place..... the friggin book tells em exactly what they have to do to fix this problem... they should have known this way before they scheduled the work.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts