Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

· Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once I pulled the video up on my computer instead of phone it made a little more sense. I do find that I run out of flex with the bags back there so maybe these should be in the works for me. That rubber is ridiculously thick so I would think it would be okay, but I could be wrong.

· Premium Member
3,708 Posts
There are a few members running these, I don't remember their user names but hope they chime in. I've noticed the limitations with airbags and have picked up a few different long travel bags and plan to do some testing. Without running these myself I can't say how they feel or sound.

· Registered
1,036 Posts
When I installed +3 shackles on my Tundra, the airbags were stretched out so I disconnected the bottom of the bags from the brackets and with no air in the bags there's an inch gap between them. They did chatter when the suspension dipped low, so I removed the lower brackets.

Unless, there's rubber on the bottom of the cradles, yes, it will chatter and as the bags hit the inner wall of the cradle, it'll wear out too.

Better design is to attach a piston like spacer on the bottom of the bags--like Coachbuilder's bag spacers and make a cradle where the spacer is the only part that moves in and out or up and down in the cradle. The bag itself will not touch anything to prevent wear.

But then, you may need a lower mounting point for the cradle to make room for that piston.

· Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These plates look to add around 1" to the bottom mount. As far as chatter, I can only see that happening at high speeds off road when the axle is articulating enough to let the bag move away from the bracket. If you notice that chatter when doing something that would create, you are pretty damn observant on the wrong things LOL.

With the minimum 5psi in my Airlifts they are touching the bottom mounting plate with my CB +2s. I can see this being a benefit on trails as it would allow the axle to continue to flex beyond the point of the bag to maintain traction. In example, the photo below I kept pulling my tire up off the ground and losing traction as the bag decreased my down travel. I'll add multiple angles for you to see, and because I am a photo whore.

I ended up having to back up and take a different line to get over this as I could not keep traction and all four wheels on the ground. The CB spacer would have helped a bit, but that axle being allowed to continue about 3" further down would have helped a lot more.

Another thought, while on the lift installing the shackles I had to disconnect the bottom of the bag. With the bottom of the bag disconnected the axle was allowed to drop another 1-2" beyond its connected state. Not much, but when you start to articulate the axle that can turn into a 6" or more difference (I am no engineer, I do not know the formula for figuring out an exact number). David's spacer will work for 95% of the people reading this, but for that other 5% a taller bag or something like this spacer would work better IMO.

· Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These went on today. All I can say is wow.

The ride is COMPLETELY different. Smooth, soft, no more one ton beat your teeth out over speed bumps. I do not understand it. It feels like a different truck.

Not sure how the articulation will be now, I will know after Memorial Day weekend on our camping trip. I am sure the down travel will be much better without that bag holding the axle up.

· Premium Member
11,775 Posts
These went on today. All I can say is wow.

The ride is COMPLETELY different. Smooth, soft, no more one ton beat your teeth out over speed bumps. I do not understand it. It feels like a different truck.

Not sure how the articulation will be now, I will know after Memorial Day weekend on our camping trip. I am sure the down travel will be much better without that bag holding the axle up.
Hey Brock,

Could you take some pics of them on the truck, having a hard time visualizing them.

· Premium Member
3,708 Posts
1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.