Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
California Owners and To the Rest Of Tundra Owners

Hello All,

I'm now totally inching into buying a Tundra and my plan is to have it Super "Charged". I do have several questions:

First and foremost: Is it advisable to buy a slightly used Tundra, let's say, 20-80K miles on the odometer and to have a supercharger added. Basically, is still safe to add a supercharger on a used Tundra.... more concerned about durability.
If I can find a used Tundra yet still in great shape, I don't mind owning one, somehow, it'll save me a couple or several hundred dollars.

Pros and Cons of having a supercharger? (Gas doesn't deter me :))

For. So. Cal. owners with superchargers, since I'm here in California, where did you have yours installed? I really want to have it added or done with a reputable company that has done it many times so there's a little chance that they'll screw it up. I don't mind going to the dealer if that's the best way to go. But which Toyota dealer happens to be doing it more frequently than the others in So. Cal and perhaps someone one can chime in from some owners who live in the San Francisco/Bay Area.

I have more questions to ask but these are the mains ones that I'd really hope to get some answers on.

About Me: I'm a Honda (S2000), Lexus (IS-F and SC300 1997 Manual), Mercedes (W210, GLK 350, GL 450, S550 and 2016 GL 450) and Toyota (1993 pick-up truck - high school to college years) kind of guy and I am very active with the other car forums that I have mentioned.

I've always wanted a Toyota Tundra and for some reason, I don't have the urge to check or research other car companies such as Ford, Chevrolet or Dodge's truck line-up.

Any input is welcome!!! Thank you in advance and cheers to all!

ST

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have a supercharged 2012 CrewMax. I had mine installed at Cabe Toyota in Long Beach because they have installed many superchargers over the years. The Frontier Toyota dealer near me has only installed one (1) over the years. I wanted a dealer that was experienced in installing them.

Pros are it brings a smile to my face every time I hit the long skinny pedal.

CABE TOYOTA | New & Used Cars Long Beach, CA

Hello All,

I'm now totally inching into buying a Tundra and my plan is to have it Super Charged. I do have several questions:

First and foremost: Is it advisable to buy a slightly used Tundra, let's say, 20-80K miles on the odometer and to have a supercharger added. Basically, is still safe to add a supercharger on a used Tundra.... more concerned about durability.
If I can find a used Tundra yet still in great shape, I don't mind owning one, somehow, it'll save me a couple or several hundred dollars.

For. So. Cal. owners with superchargers, since I'm here in California, where did you have yours installed? I really want to have it added or done to a company that has done it many times so there's a little chance that they'll screw it up. I don't mind going to the dealer if that's the best way to go. But which Toyota dealer happens to be doing it more frequently than the others in So. Cal and perhaps someone one can chime in from someone who lives in the San Francisco/Bay Area.

I have more questions to ask but these are the mains ones that I'd really hope to get some answers on.

About Me: I'm a Honda (S2000), Lexus (IS-F and SC300 1997 Manual), Mercedes (GLK 350, GL 450, S550 and 2016 GL 450) and Toyota (1993 pick-up truck - high school to college years) kind of guy and am very active with the other Car Forums that I have mentioned.

I've always wanted a Toyota Tundra and for some reason, I don't have the urge to check or research other Car Companies such as Ford, Chevrolet or Dodge's in regards to their trucks.

ST

·
Premium Member
15,631 Posts
Welcome, since you're not new to forums, please post in the appropriate sub forum.
:nerd:
i moved it for you this one time. but usually we just delete posts that are in the wrong forums.... like an introduction in the general sub forum.

anyhow, sounds like you've had a lot of fun cars. my most fun was my 2001 S600 AMG. that thing was awesome when it worked. lol

·
Registered
317 Posts
I don't have the urge to check or research other Car Companies such as Ford, Chevrolet or Dodge's in regards to their trucks.
I spent about a year researching Ford and Dodge when trying to decide what to get. I test drove all of them (Ford 3.5L EcoBoost, 2.7L EcoBoost, Dodge EcoDiesel, Dodge V8) and spent a lot of time reading articles, watching YouTube reviews, reading forums.
And I'm so glad I'm getting a Tundra. The thing that appealed most to me for the others was the gas mileage. However, now I see so many problems coming up with some of those new engines & transmissions that I'm glad I didn't get one of them.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
A friend of mine has had 2 engines replaced in his F-150 EcoBoom. He took it in to have another engine replaced and was able to get Ford to Leon Law it. Don't think my friend is the sharpest tool in the box because he bought a new Raptor with the EcoBoom engine to replace the one Ford bought back.

I spent about a year researching Ford and Dodge when trying to decide what to get. I test drove all of them (Ford 3.5L EcoBoost, 2.7L EcoBoost, Dodge EcoDiesel, Dodge V8) and spent a lot of time reading articles, watching YouTube reviews, reading forums.
And I'm so glad I'm getting a Tundra. The thing that appealed most to me for the others was the gas mileage. However, now I see so many problems coming up with some of those new engines & transmissions that I'm glad I didn't get one of them.

·
Registered
877 Posts
A friend of mine has had 2 engines replaced in his F-150 EcoBoom. He took it in to have another engine replaced and was able to get Ford to Leon Law it. Don't think my friend is the sharpest tool in the box because he bought a new Raptor with the EcoBoom engine to replace the one Ford bought back.

That's a big 3 thing. I have a Tahoe, there are guys in the Tahoe forum complaining about all the issues they're having. Then they're trading up for new tahoes ?.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
?

Hi... you mentioned that you are seeing many problems with the new engines and trannies... are you referring to Toyota Trucks?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome, since you're not new to forums, please post in the appropriate sub forum.
:nerd:
i moved it for you this one time. but usually we just delete posts that are in the wrong forums.... like an introduction in the general sub forum.

anyhow, sounds like you've had a lot of fun cars. my most fun was my 2001 S600 AMG. that thing was awesome when it worked. lol
Thanks!

I have a supercharged 2012 CrewMax. I had mine installed at Cabe Toyota in Long Beach because they have installed many superchargers over the years. The Frontier Toyota dealer near me has only installed one (1) over the years. I wanted a dealer that was experienced in installing them.

Pros are it brings a smile to my face every time I hit the long skinny pedal.

CABE TOYOTA | New & Used Cars Long Beach, CA
Totally helpful!!!

Thanks you guys and I'll keep you all posted!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hello All,

I'm now totally inching into buying a Tundra and my plan is to have it Super Charged. I do have several questions:

For. So. Cal. owners with superchargers, since I'm here in California, where did you have yours installed? I really want to have it added or done to a company that has done it many times so there's a little chance that they'll screw it up. I don't mind going to the dealer if that's the best way to go. But which Toyota dealer happens to be doing it more frequently than the others in So. Cal and perhaps someone one can chime in from someone who lives in the San Francisco/Bay Area.

About Me: I'm a Honda (S2000), Lexus (IS-F and SC300 1997 Manual), Mercedes (GLK 350, GL 450, S550 and 2016 GL 450) and Toyota (1993 pick-up truck - high school to college years) kind of guy and am very active with the other Car Forums that I have mentioned.

I've always wanted a Toyota Tundra and for some reason, I don't have the urge to check or research other Car Companies such as Ford, Chevrolet or Dodge's in regards to their trucks.

ST
I bought my tundra used with 69k miles on it. I supercharged it when it hit 75k. It now has 205k and still running strong.

Dave

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Les_Paul

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello All,

ST
I was actually thinking about driving my truck to SDHQ in Arizona. I just can't find anybody that is reputable. I can't get any info about that bullydog tune either. And what better test drive then a 6 hour drive.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Actually thought about using the dealer in Palmdale/Lancaster because they did an install for a magazine. However, I felt more comfortable going to Cabe Toyota since many on this forum have used them and they only have one tech that installs them.

I’m in Santa Clarita also and would not used frontier Toyota for that type of installation.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
One of the best things about Tundra's besides reliability is the Supercharger option. Added mine to my truck at approximately 20k miles, have 50K now. Been trouble free, and lots of fun. Gobs of torque, literally Mustang GT quick or faster, at least 0-60 mph.

Had mine installed at a local high performance shop in Anaheim, they do lots of performance work and did the supercharger on my E90 M3 as well. Half the price of a dealer. I reviewed the installation PDF, and while its time consuming its not really that technically difficult, so its unlikely an experienced mechanic could screw it up. Depending on how new a vehicle you put it on, warranty issue may not be any better at a dealer, so why overpay?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Do you have to replace any belts or carry spares?
I replaced the belt when I did the 100k mile service on the supercharger. Though I heard then that I should have changed it sooner based on Toyota's say so.

Dave

·
Registered
14 Posts
One of the best things about Tundra's besides reliability is the Supercharger option. Added mine to my truck at approximately 20k miles, have 50K now. Been trouble free, and lots of fun. Gobs of torque, literally Mustang GT quick or faster, at least 0-60 mph.

Had mine installed at a local high performance shop in Anaheim, they do lots of performance work and did the supercharger on my E90 M3 as well. Half the price of a dealer. I reviewed the installation PDF, and while its time consuming its not really that technically difficult, so its unlikely an experienced mechanic could screw it up. Depending on how new a vehicle you put it on, warranty issue may not be any better at a dealer, so why overpay?
Can you tell me the shop you went to?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Thanks for covering this part!

I totally agree!

I replaced the belt when I did the 100k mile service on the supercharger. Though I heard then that I should have changed it sooner based on Toyota's say so.

Dave

Very valuable information!

Can you tell me the shop you went to?
I second this!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.