Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,093 Posts
I bought an afe cai and it was a waste of money for me. Not that afe is a bad unit, it's just that the stock one is very good. One good thing about afe is my air intake temps did not change at all.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

· Cereal Killer
20,993 Posts
The properly done ones add power but usually not enough to rationalize the expense, especially on a stock motor. For example the TRD CAI adds around 10 hp to the rear wheels but costs almost $400. :dunno:

· Banned
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The properly done ones add power but usually not enough to rationalize the expense, especially on a stock motor. For example the TRD CAI adds around 10 hp to the rear wheels but costs almost $400. :dunno:
Which are considered properly done? Imo the trd looks almost the same as stock

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· "Resident Liberal"
13,624 Posts
The afe on my 4.7 cost me bottom end and a little mpg but it looks and sounds great.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

· Registered
708 Posts
The afe on my 4.7 cost me bottom end and a little mpg but it looks and sounds great.
Same here. K&N 77 on 5.7. Lost bottom end and some MPG. Sounds and looks really cool. It was a gift from my wife or it would belong to someone else by now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Premium Member
2,012 Posts
I had a custom 4" CAI made as an experiment -WoW.. it was like where the heck was this extra power before? Stock and every other aftermarket CAI (Except for the S/C) is 3.5" which the truck is tuned for. I didn't really feel anything too different with the Volant CAI.. with the 4" CAI it seemed to lean out the truck thus more power was felt.. Well my Turbo Mod obviously surpassed what my 4" CAI did, but stay tune, Keith (DirtyDeeds) is going to be making a 4" CAI (aka BAMTUBE).. He's going to also Dyno it to document any HP/TQ changes.
I didn't do that though, I track tested mine and it gave me more power than what Doug Thorey Long Tube headers did for the other two Bros that had those installed.. Anyone who is N/A and wants more umph should consider the BAMTUBE once its out.. Hopefully by next month..:D

Attachments

· Registered
734 Posts
Someone needs to make a sticky for CAI. Seems like every other week there is a thread. lol

Anyway, I made my own CAI for under $150, using a spare factory intake MAF, 4" pipe/fittings and a AEM dryflow. Noticeable slight gain in performance on the butt dyno and decent track times, but no real scientific proof.

I'm thinking about making a 4.5" once I get my supercharger on, but I will have to enlarge the fender hole a bit for it to pass through. May or may not increase performance but should make the blower scream.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.