Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

141 - 160 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Unplugged from cable in 2004 when Time Warner messed up my bill and didn't want to fix their error. I haven't missed cable at all.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Ive been lightly exploring this ditching cable and all its useless channels we dont watch and the commercials .

My wife and I watch allot of regular TV ( i guess one would call this network TV ) and only some movies ( netflix and such )
This goes againts the younger crowd who watches almost NO regular TV.

Google TV and You Tube seem to have what i need ,, minus the outdoor channel ( hunting shows ) and a few others .

Signed , not quite ready . But soon .

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Cable companies offer a basic cable where you get local network channels and you can supplement them with a service such as netflix. Sort of a decent compromise. Having basic you will get offers specials to upgrade. You can take advantage of the promo and then drop when promo expires.
I am mostly happy with Fios with gigabit network. With a dvr the news is about all live tv we watch. It id]s amazing how much quicker you can watch an hour program if you skip the commercials

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
I am clearly an idiot as I pay over 260.00 a month for the Comcast cable/intenet/phone and I can't seem to cut the cord.

Ha ! Same thing happened to me except I have my habit whittled down to around $190.00/month.
I try to record on my DVR everything I enjoy watching so I can blow past the commercials at my convenience.
I'm an addict ~ I've not even tried quitting . . .

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I am clearly an idiot as I pay over 260.00 a month for the Comcast cable/intenet/phone and I can't seem to cut the cord.
You're paying for a landline?

My ATT internet and DirecTV are on the same bill.
It's about $150.

I've researched cutting cable/satellite, but my wife gets too frustrated switching from one service to another.
She is not very technology savvy..

·
Super Moderator
5,324 Posts
You're paying for a landline?

My ATT internet and DirecTV are on the same bill.
It's about $150.

I've researched cutting cable/satellite, but my wife gets too frustrated switching from one service to another.
She is not very technology savvy..
I pay for four "landlines". However, they only cost me about $6/month total.

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
I had gotten discounts from spectrum as I kept calling keeping them busy working with me trying to get me a deal. Thing is to not take the first offer and do your homework. It helps that Fios was available. At the end they would not give me a deal after 5 years of doing so. I told them I was going Fios and they called my bluff. So I left . After a month they came back with offers that I was not able to get a month earlier.
But after getting true fast internet, higher resolution HD and I could hear the sound with much much lower volume on the tv it is hard to go back. The only thing I miss is the weather channel and that is only on extreme weather possible days.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I had gotten discounts from spectrum as I kept calling keeping them busy working with me trying to get me a deal. Thing is to not take the first offer and do your homework. It helps that Fios was available. At the end they would not give me a deal after 5 years of doing so. I told them I was going Fios and they called my bluff. So I left . After a month they came back with offers that I was not able to get a month earlier.
But after getting true fast internet, higher resolution HD and I could hear the sound with much much lower volume on the tv it is hard to go back. The only thing I miss is the weather channel and that is only on extreme weather possible days.
You mentioned the sound quality .... With my cable it's bad / hard to hear the voices even on any tv sound setting they are mushy and all the rest of the sounds are clear . Who knows , might be my ears .

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
I went from a 50 volume to a 12 and it is much clearer. The 720 on cable meant that shows that like to have dark room meant you may not see anything. I rewatched some shows that were really bad and I could clearly see the scene on Fios. This on a 55" tv.
I was going to buy a soundbar for the tv but no longer need for general tv.
All my wiring from the pole to the tv's was all top notch. I've been doing electronic cabling for many decades. Over the years had a dozen "tech" tried to blame the poor quality on my end. Funny how it works great now that they are gone.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's actually cheaper to have the landline with Comcast compared to not having it included in the bundle, stupid for sure but that is how their package works. I don't use the phone but I do give out the phone number for when a phone number is required filling out paperwork for various vendors, I figure if a real question/answer is needed they would leave a voice message for me, I can always check for that. Of course the phone calls that do come in are 99% spam but I don't even have a phone connected so I never hear a phone ring, I just check from time to time on the internet on the Comcast website.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I cut the cable (canceled service) almost 10 years ago. I want to know if any of you have done it and if so, which devices you use on your TV/Entertainment System to watch the shows/movies/etc. that you like.
I umbilicaled-off a dozen years ago. Never missed it, as it had turned into 500 channels of NOTHING. :violin:

Replacements are: Amazon Prime video, a Kindle with KU, Netflix, and YT. I refuse to watch (or listen to) another single commercial, so I have over 500 spam blockers for email, use AdBlockPlus on the computer extensively, and refuse to whitelist anything which would abuse me with commercials or ads.

Do I count the old vinyl record albums? ;)

Oh, Redbox sees me for all the new movies, too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I couldnt do it anymore. 4 months on only Netflix and Prime... just cant find enough programs to watch...
just signed up again for Cox cable with all the premium channels..
As we say in AA, some are sicker than others. >:D

Read a book, why don't ya? I do about 100/yr.

·
Trans-Immigrant
15,629 Posts
addict? nope i just want to have something entertaining to watch for the two hours in the evening that i do watch tv.
i really did enjoy the Netflix and Prime originals.. but once you watch them all you're forced to keep searching and trying to find something entertaining.

i know with cable i had a list of shows that i would enjoy and had those recorded so i could watch them at night.
almost all my favorite things to watch are not available off the cable network

:nerd:

·
Trans-Immigrant
15,629 Posts
As we say in AA, some are sicker than others. >:D

Read a book, why don't ya? I do about 100/yr.
what makes you think I dont read books? i'm reading Tom Clancy's Oath of Office right now.
i dont read 100 books a year because im not a geriatric, i actually have a busy life.. and with that being said, i am willing to pay the price of cable so i can have my entertainment for the few hours i am able to rest on the couch

:D

·
Super Moderator
5,324 Posts
141 - 160 of 170 Posts