Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago I remember reading a research paper about how tonneau covers and cab spoilers affect aero drag (mpg). They claimed a small spoiler on the back of a std cab 8' bed reduced drag. I was interested but thought it would look goofy and less applicable to a CrewMax (short bed).

Either way, I saw one in real life.
:eek::eek::nerd::eek::eek:
It definitely needs to be color matched. And I doubt it had any appreciable affect on mpg.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I occasionally see someone on here that cares about fuel mileage, but I guess this is too far out there.

I guess my next post will be about pulling a 16ft trailer with 2 3500lb axles, 6 yards of pea gravel, no trailer brakes, no wdh and on the bumper....

>>

·
Premium Member
10,631 Posts
I would be interested to see how objects fly around in the bed of the truck before and after the spoiler is installed.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Years ago I remember reading a research paper about how tonneau covers and cab spoilers affect aero drag (mpg). They claimed a small spoiler on the back of a std cab 8' bed reduced drag. I was interested but thought it would look goofy and less applicable to a CrewMax (short bed).

:eek::eek::nerd::eek::eek:
It definitely needs to be color matched. And I doubt it had any appreciable affect on mpg.
I believe the theory is that the air flow over the cab is deflected upward and/or maintains a more horizontal path longer in order to avoid vortex generation behind the cab, thereby reducing aerodynamic drag. At best, it probably only delays vortex generation, particularly in the absence of a tonneau cover, and maybe lessens the strength of the vortices slightly. Yet, purpose built race cars are often seen with a squared-off "Kamm back" to reduce drag. I guess the Devil is in the geek details. :dunno:

This "research paper" you read was likely commissioned and paid for by a manufacturer of...you guessed it, spoilers and tonneau covers.

After having my 2017 a week or so, and getting a fairly good handle of the "best expected" mpg, I bought a nice high-dollar Ultraflex folding bed cover, primarily to keep the leaves and dust out of my bed. I figured since guys have been removing pickup tailgates, and buying gate nets and fancy fabricated Venetian blind tail gates for a long time to improve their gas mileage, I thought that I might see a little lagniappe in some gas mileage increase. Not even a freakin' 0.1 mpg...absolutely nothing.

For the manufacturer, the great thing about selling "drag reducing" products, and having some nerd write a "research paper" on drag reduction deriving from their products is...it ain't a lie, but no average truck owner is going to have the instrumentation, equipment or knowledge to verify the findings; i.e. there may ACTUALLY be some small amount of drag reduction that is ACTUALLY measurable, but there is NO WAY it will translate into any kind of practical result such as increased fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
10,631 Posts
I believe the theory is that the air flow over the cab is deflected upward and/or maintains a more horizontal path longer in order to avoid vortex generation behind the cab, thereby reducing aerodynamic drag. At best, it probably only delays vortex generation, particularly in the absence of a tonneau cover, and maybe lessens the strength of the vortices slightly. Yet, purpose built race cars are often seen with a squared-off "Kamm back" to reduce drag. I guess the Devil is in the geek details. :dunno:

This "research paper" you read was likely commissioned and paid for by a manufacturer of...you guessed it, spoilers and tonneau covers.

After having my 2017 a week or so, and getting a fairly good handle of the "best expected" mpg, I bought a nice high-dollar Ultraflex folding bed cover, primarily to keep the leaves and dust out of my bed. I figured since guys have been removing pickup tailgates, and buying gate nets and fancy fabricated Venetian blind tail gates for a long time to improve their gas mileage, I thought that I might see a little lagniappe in some gas mileage increase. Not even a freakin' 0.1 mpg...absolutely nothing.

For the manufacturer, the great thing about selling "drag reducing" products, and having some nerd write a "research paper" on drag reduction deriving from their products is...it ain't a lie, but no average truck owner is going to have the instrumentation, equipment or knowledge to verify the findings; i.e. there may ACTUALLY be some small amount of drag reduction that is ACTUALLY measurable, but there is NO WAY it will translate into any kind of practical result such as increased fuel economy.
Your mistake was you added weight

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Your mistake was you added weight

Mmmm...:lol: If that means that 80 pounds of additional weight can offset the aerodynamic drag savings from keeping an 70 mph headwind from hitting that brick wall of a tail gate?!...Well, then, I was indeed correct; that "research report" WAS definitely snake oil. :lol:

I am WAY, MUCH MORE pleased that the 870 pounds of precast concrete I hauled the next week didn't seem to have any dramatic effect on the gas mileage either. But, it was hidden under that bed cover...maybe the truck didn't know it was there. There's a lesson here for those that would believe you can do performance mods to improve fuel economy on these trucks...it's a fools errand, like trying to change a woman's innate character after you've married her. :lol:

Anyway...the primary objective was achieved; no mas big f'in mess in the bed. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts

:eek::eek:🤓:eek::eek:
My question is does it prevent water from coming in back window when open some. I had a 2004 with the visor guard over back window I loved, now with 2017 they don’t make them, so if this works it could be an option for me!!thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.