Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my lease is almost up on my truck and I plan on paying it off. My residual is around 22k. Can I negotiate that amount? And they said I have to pay tax title and license fees again? Anyone have any input?

Reactions: Ogtoyfan

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
You can always try to negotiate the price. As for tax, title and license fees, generally you will have to pay those. When you leased the truck you either payed an upfront sales tax fee that was based on the total of your lease payments (not the actual sales price of the truck) or you paid the sales tax monthly as part of your lease payment. Now, you will have to pay sales tax on the purchase price (i.e., the 22k). Title/license fees are pretty much always going to be there, however, depending upon where you live you may be able to transfer the unused portion of your registration fees over to the new purchase and receive a credit off of your new registration.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What should I say to negotiate? My truck is in mint condition and has low miles, how do I justify getting a better price ?

Reactions: Ogtoyfan

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
For starters, the dealer has to spend some cash detailing your truck and what not before they can list it on the lot; with you buying it they can skip that step. Also, even if your truck is mint it likely will not sell the same day...every day inventory sits on the lot the dealer is losing money; you are a willing buyer who is already there. You really negotiate the same way you would if you had not leased the vehicle...it's not your truck at that point so you are just another customer, but a customer who is at the dealer and READY to purchase if the price is right.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,751 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's gotta be worth more than 22k? Right?

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
So my lease is almost up on my truck and I plan on paying it off. My residual is around 22k. Can I negotiate that amount? And they said I have to pay tax title and license fees again? Anyone have any input?
Under a lease you don't own so title and registration is under the bank. So when you decide to buy you have to get a new registration under your name only. It's a paperwork drill that has to be done. Now buying the truck outright will be hard to negotiate a price. They are going under the price you originally signed for so they want that price. You can have it finance anywhere but making them move under the price that's left will be a hard one to do. Good luck in that.

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
The last truck I did a lease on was a 03 Tacoma n when I traded it in I was way over mileage so I took it to a different dealer as a trade in, I broke even so I was happy I didn't have to pay penalties for mileage & damage for not having a bed liner n I used it everyday for work. Anyways I feel leasing a vehicle is only good for people that don't want to buy there vehicle. Depending on which model u have u might b able to pay a little more n get a new truck. If u did decide to do that, go to a different dealer. The reason buying a new truck should b an option is that on a lease u really don't have room to negotiate, it is what it is. On a new truck u can save $6-8k if done right

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Truck that and tundras all day long at 0%... That's the best part... Dam 40k for a truck... I can't justify that much unless a diesel lol... Maybe I'm cheap lol...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I don't see them coming down in price. Sticker was $49 I believe and I will end up paying $42 if I pay it off. I will be paying cash as well not financing if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Time to upgrade...IMHO
Upgrade? Why? I have what I want a limited tundra with everything on it, new tires 3/1 lift, exhaust and only 34k miles. And not having a car payment anymore will be nice.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Upgrade to what? It's a 2010 limited. Just pay it off and be done with it. Doesn't hurt to try and haggle but 22k is fair even if you paided 21k on the lease, that's gone now anyways and your truck has to be worth more than 22 IMO anyways.

Already have a few mods on too. Why start from scratch

Reactions: shabetta

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the input!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts