Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering buying this V8 auto 06 double cab 4wd limited with 336k. It's in fantastic shape overall. Body is perfect no rust or dents. Starts, runs and drives great. Undercarriage and frame are stellar. New tires ARE fiber top.

Replaced in the past 1-2yrs....

Smog pump secondary air injection both sides
Steering track
Tie rods
Ball joints
Both cv axles
Front springs and struts
Rear shocks

It hasn't had timing done since 212k. That's about the only bag thingI can come up with

Maintenance records and the condition of the truck are what tempt me to buy it.

Older guy selling. Says he'd keep diving if he didn't need the 250 diesel he's driving now for his new trailer. Seems honest the carfax backs up everything.

It's in Virginia and I'm from NY. I just randomly noticed it on the side of the road while down here for the week.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
If it's as clean as you say it is and has all the necessary repairs and maintenance besides timing id get it. Mine has 360,000 on it and doesn't show signs of stopping anytime soon. So don't worry about mileage

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
712 Posts
Not a bad price in today's market, especially for a Tundra.

Clean title?

Have you run the vin?

Do you have a scan tool?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended buying it. Drove home 600+ miles and felt like someone swapped out the odometer for one with more miles than actual. Its hard to believe how nice it is especially being from NY. I'm going to change the water pump and timing belt. I was also thinking of a drain and fill on the transmission and new diff and transfer case fluids. Anything else I'm missing?

I was thinking about replacing the radiator when I do the timing and water pump. Is that worth doing or should I just run the original? It looks to be in great shape but I thought if I'm 90% there why not its only a couple hundred bucks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not a bad price in today's market, especially for a Tundra.

Clean title?

Have you run the vin?

Do you have a scan tool?
Title is clean
Ran the vin with carfax and checked the toyota owners site for service history. Everything was exactly as the guy said very well maintained.

Didn't have a scan tool

·
Registered
5 Posts
The transmission takes GM Dextron 3 fluid as well as the power steering fluid is the same. And only change the radiator if it's gumed up.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Congrats it’s just getting broken in!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Replace the radiator. 200k miles is about max I would go for the OEM radiator. This is for the two early gen1 tundras still owned in my family. One in long and hot 100F +/-10F summers in California and shitty long and cold Winters in WI. Both extremes on the temp scale. Tank gets hairline crack on top plastic tank after years from heat or failure between the radiator and transmission on the bottom of the plastic tank giving you pink milk which is just from old age or mixing different coolants/not changing often enough. The amount of money you spend on ATF to flush after multiple drive cycles will be close to the price of a new denso radiator on Amazon for 150-160 and still have to hope that your transmission isn't toast.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thermostat, cam seals, tensioner, water pump, radiator with the timing belt.
Drain & Fill. The first will show if you need to do it twice.
And yes to both difs and transfer case fluids.
Make sure to grease ALL the drive shaft/spider/u joints.
Do check cam bolts/LCAs bushings as they can freeze up. I did entire front suspension and links, but your PO may have saved you the trouble.
Power Steering pump and brake fluid as well and your off to 500K.
Enjoy.
Sounds like a sweet ride!

·
Registered
17 Posts
as far as price goes like some other people have said it matters what you're willing to pay for the shape it's in, sounds like it's in pretty decent shape for the year I would definitely agree about all the maintenance don't forget about your tune up stuff such as plugs and such Possibly a wheel alignment Who knows the last time that got done Good luck and happy New Year with your new truck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the tips! I've been getting parts together to do much of what has been discussed. The Aisin kit is backordered at least via Amazon so hopefully that gets here soon. I did peak at the belt and it looks to be in great shape so I'm not worried about waiting a few weeks.

I'm trying to figure out what route to go for the radiator.

OEM is $375
Denso $155
Mishimoto $500 all aluminum

Is there any reason to spend more than $150?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Congrats and welcome.. Any pics of Rig???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts