Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I will be moving my whole business into the US prob July/ August period.

The tundra crewmax has always been my dream truck and i would love to own a limited edition crewmax!

I actually found one in a very nice condition, but the problem is that, it has around 110k miles on it.

I know the tundra was built like a tank, but what would you guys recommend?

Its within my budget.

This will be my daily driver and I will be using it for carrying goods and also towing of goods as well.

Thanks in advance!

cheers all!

·
Registered
830 Posts
How much towing are you talking about? If it is "lots of the time" then I would first make sure it has the tow package, and second you may need the 5.7L. But you need to first know how much you are towing for weight.

Second, all used vehicles are at the mercy of the previous owner. Records of oil changes etc are good. At only 110k though I'm not sure I'd be too worried, as long as it's running good--but I'd like to see some good oil change receipts. At those miles it should be due for diffs and I would do transmission fluid--but even if they had never been changed I suspect they are ok. Just in need of changing.

Third, always make sure to have some reserve money on hand. Either for doing fluid changes, or to cover a new set of tires, or "just in case" something is amiss and you find you need to do a couple grand in repairs. Better to be prepared than to be caught unaware.

Depending upon where you are buying I'd crawl underneath and check for rust and damage. Damage could be from anything; rust is, well, for obvious reasons. I don't know where you are looking but in the rust belt anything over a few years old is suspect. Not that it will suddenly up and die, but I would not want to pay top dollar for something only to have to do rust related repairs in 2-3 years.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Check if they changed the transmission fluid before that point. It should be changed by 100k at the latest in my opinion. I'd change it at 60K for a towing vehicle. Change the front and rear diffs and transfer case fluid. You can do that yourself fairly easily. Timing chain replacement should be around 120K miles. So factor that cost in.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hello there. I have a 2007 limited crewmax with 106,574 miles on the dash. I can tell you for a fact that this truck runs just as good as the day I bought it. All maintenance has been done through the stealership but its an investment worth it. I have every receipt from every oil change, brake pad replacement, bulb replacement, differential work, and most recently spark plug replacement. My only problem with my truck is that my rearview cam does not operate 100% of the time. It shows a blackscreen a lot lately. Other than that it is a workhorse. It does have a minor recall for the driver side power window. I guess it needs to be re-greased or else it could lead to a fire hazard. At least that's what the notice says. But like someone already mentioned do your due diligence and check all maintenance records.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
830 Posts
Check if they changed the transmission fluid before that point. It should be changed by 100k at the latest in my opinion. I'd change it at 60K for a towing vehicle. Change the front and rear diffs and transfer case fluid. You can do that yourself fairly easily. Timing chain replacement should be around 120K miles. So factor that cost in.
I think you mean timing belt, which would only apply to the 4.7, no? Not the 4.6 and 5.7.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
The 4.7 has a belt. The 4.6 and 5.7 have a chain. Belts do not stretch, but they do wear out and break. Chains are not likely to break, but they do stretch out over time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi guys!

thank you guys so much for the information! i love you guys!

it will definitely be a 5.7L for me!

I'm looking at a 2007 5.7L crewmax limited :) always been a dream.

Towing wise, probably do it once every 2 months. I'm suppose to be using it for work, but well, its my dream vehicle !

I'm ok with sending it in for another round of fluid changes.

The vehicle is located somewhere in California, just outside Chino, so i think its more dessert over there.

how much does it cost to change the timing chain? i know that can be a pain in the ass.

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my budget is in below $19k region man :(

it MUST be a crewmax as I've been reading people's " DC remorse". hahaha

and it must be min a SR5. hahahah.. i dont like the front bench seats. hahaha.

and if i can get a limited for a decent price, hell yeah! hahahah

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi guys!

thanks for the info :)

one question is, if i buy from a private party, how do i finance it? i would like to build up my credit status.

Also, thanks for the tip on the SR5s. :) I'll definitely look into it!

Cheers!

Russ

·
Registered
497 Posts
Go through your local credit union..they finance your purchase with the truck as collateral and write a certified check to the seller. Piece of cake and you get the best rates on a loan with credit union and usually the best service.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi guys!

thanks again for your help!

just one last question, is it possible to pay the monthly installments via credit card or something? i have a good milage programme on my amex which i use to travel for business ( very helpful)

Apologies on the noob questions :)

But really cant wait to join the club!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.