Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The day after purchasing this truck I swore to myself I wouldn't touch it and it would stay stock for at least a few years. Well...8 months later I'm starting a build log.

First off, Toyota or nothing has been my motto since I was 16. In order from my first car to now: 1990 Cressida, 2001 Tacoma, 2005 4Runner, 2006 Yaris, 2002 Tundra, 2007 IS250 (that counts, right?), 2012 Camry, and finally...2006 4Runner (wife) and 2013 Tundra.

My grandpa got me started on Toyota, pretty sure he's driven at least one of every model at some point. Life changes from jobs, school and dating the future Mrs. dictated which car I drove from the list above. Not one ever gave me a problem and a few of them are still in my family with 250K+ miles.

Here's my '02 that made me want another:

Anyway! I found this '13 Tundra (favorite Toyota yet) in December on a lot with 31K miles and couldn't pass it up. It's a base model 5.7L 4X4, here it is the day I brought it home. I had the dealer swap on some TSS rims and I added a TSS grill my brother had leftover:

About 2 weeks later I added the 5.7L badge from the 3rd Gen (preferred the black background behind the 5.7L) and chrome handles/mirror caps:

A month or so later I swapped out the TSS grill for the Limited grill and added tow mirrors:

Then I added the Fortin remote start, which in Texas has been a HUGE plus:

Then about 2 days later I replaced the stock exhaust with a Flowmaster 50 series which I'll upload a sound byte from later. It's perfect for my taste, no drone and it has a deep rumble when it fires up and when I accelerate, but it's dead quiet at highway cruising speed.

I also had the bed Line-Xed and put in 3rd gen Toyota all weather mats (which fit perfectly by the way).

I've also installed Jam Handles and replaced any worn out pieces like armrest covers and tailgate caps so it's back to brand new condition.

Now...for the fun part...lift and tires.

I've lifted every truck and SUV I've had and have learned my lessons on when I can be cheap and when to "invest". So after tons of reading I've decided to go with Bilstein 6112 and CB shims for 3" of lift and Toytec shackles in the rear with 285/65/20 BFG A/T KO2's. I can't decide if I want to go 1" or 1.5", any advice?

The lift is in the mail and picked up these guys today:

These things are HUGE and pumped is an understatement. I'll have to wait another week or two before I can put it all together, but I know it'll be worth the wait

Well, the wait is over. The lift and tires are on and mannnn, I can't even explain how awesome it turned out.

So, 3/1.5" lift with 285/65/20 BFG KO2's.

With the tires I think I ended up with 3.75-4" of lift upfront and it looks better than I could've imagined. The ride is awesome, tires aren't loud whatsoever and the truck feels extremely planted - the suspension isn't as "squishy".

More pics to come...

Edit: Here's a comparison, but just like every other lift post, the pictures just don't show how beefy the truck actually is with the lift and tires.

One more...for now...

Ordered 3 hoop steps, Rough Country had 2 sets on EBAY for $175 new. One left if anyone wants a set.

Never liked the stock chrome steps and really need that 3rd bed step to get stuff out. Curious to see how they look. Here's an idea, haven't seen many Crew Max Tundras with them.

Rough Country 3 hoop steps:

-Bulldog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Free Tire Finalist
4,609 Posts
Looks nice. And, good job adding some chrome. Most on here seem determined to remove it all, which is not nice and makes me sad. :crying:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd like to know some more details on the exhaust, I have been looking at some 50 series options myself.

Will do, I'll get a video so you can hear it. Everyone pushes the BA Mufflers, and for good reason, but my budget can't justify it. I was nervous about the 50 bc of some reviews, but in the end it gave me the nice startup and the deep rumble and takeoff I wanted. Best of all, no drone and my wife can't hear it at highway speeds.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Looks nice. And, good job adding some chrome. Most on here seem determined to remove it all, which is not nice and makes me sad. :crying:

I'm all about adding chrome in a tasteful/stock kind of way. There are certain colors where color matching is a better option for sure, but I just can't understand the plastidip phase. I know more people find chrome ugly nowadays, but I just can't understand the plastidip thing - it looks like base model/construction truck parts??

·
Registered
41 Posts
1.5" should look good, a bit more leg above your boots.

As for saving chrome, the only shiny parts I have left on mine is the TRD dual tips. I just don't think it looks good on a light blue truck. Now on dark blue, brown, silver, slate or red it looks really good. Black looks ok with chrome and white can look fantastic, but so can black on black and black on white, white on white and white on black just look weird.

Dipping is for those of us who can't make a decisions and lack focu....ooooooh a butterfly!!...sorry where was I? If you want to try out a colour and aren't sure you like it you dip it first. If you are willing to go steady then you paint or powder it, its like dating in a can. It may look cheap up close but from a distance or at 65mph it looks decent.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1.5" should look good, a bit more leg above your boots.

As for saving chrome, the only shiny parts I have left on mine is the TRD dual tips. I just don't think it looks good on a light blue truck. Now on dark blue, brown, silver, slate or red it looks really good. Black looks ok with chrome and white can look fantastic, but so can black on black and black on white, white on white and white on black just look weird.

Dipping is for those of us who can't make a decisions and lack focu....ooooooh a butterfly!!...sorry where was I? If you want to try out a colour and aren't sure you like it you dip it first. If you are willing to go steady then you paint or powder it, its like dating in a can. It may look cheap up close but from a distance or at 65mph it looks decent.

Definitely agree, just like black can make a truck look cheap, chrome can make it look even worse if it's too much or on the wrong color. I like it on white and silver the most

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pictures of the 3rd gen Toyota all weather mats that fit perfectly in my 2nd gen.

Also a pic of the line-x Bedliner and Toyota rubber mat I put in for my pup to have a better surface to sit on.

Lift should be here this weekend. Killing me staring at my tires sitting in the garage, I've put them next to the truck twice already to try and picture what it will look like

Here she is in all her stock glory...and the inspiration, my main man.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, after taking into account some other things I'd like to do to the truck, I returned the 6112's and went with Rough Country 3" spacers instead. I've ran spacers on two other vehicles and never had an issue so for the mean time, this will be a solid option for me. I don't do any serious off-roading outside of getting to camping and fishing spots, the clearance is all I really need. The only issue I had other times were running blocks, I couldn't stand the tire hop.

On another note, the Toytec shackles are huge. I can only imagine how big the CB shackles are lol

So, in the end it will be a 3/1.5 lift with the carrier bearing drop.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Turned out really good. Stance looks good. I'm glad to see that you kept some of the rake also. I think chrome looks okay also as long as it is done tastefully. How are you liking the ko2's?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turned out really good. Stance looks good. I'm glad to see that you kept some of the rake also. I think chrome looks okay also as long as it is done tastefully. How are you liking the ko2's?

Thanks, man. Definitely wanted to keep some rake, not a fan of the nose-high look.

Love the KO2's, wife likes them too even though they're E's. Surprisingly quiet and smooth.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why'd you decide to ditch the billys for spacers?

Budget for one and I've ran Bilstein's as well as this spacer before and the spacer is all I need - only off-roading I do is trails to fishing holes and camping spots. In my opinion, the rides are not any different. I'd even argue my 5100's on the top setting were "stiffer" than the spacers.

Bilstein's are the better option, no doubt. But for $65 vs $220, I'm using the extra money on an UnderCover Flex.

Where I wouldn't "cheap out" was the rear, I hated the one time I used a block. The tire hop was awful. The Toytec Shackles are awesome - definitely get my stamp of approval as a cheaper option to CB's.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Up next are black 3 hoop steps. I use my bed quite a bit and that 3rd step will be a big plus after the lift.

Rough Country had 2 sets left as "scratch and dent" items on EBay for $175. I called and they said it's just discontinued, brand new not actually scratch and dent. Anyone familiar with the NFAB and OEM Toyota Predator 3 hoop steps knows these run $495-$600 - perfect timing to find these for $175.

If you're in the market, there's one set left.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Any luck on getting a video of the exhuaust? I think a 50 series is what I want to do. I want to keep everything else stock and just do a muffler swap.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts