Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I know this has been discussed before, but I am still looking for help!

I was wondering if you could advise me on a Bull Bar for my 2008 Tundra double cab SR5. My Tundra has the factory installed skid plate and tow hooks, which I would like to keep on my vehicle in addition to adding the Bull Bar.

Is there any Bull Bar currently being offered that I could purchase and install without having to permanently remove my skid plate and tow hooks?

I would appreciate your advice.

FredSG

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hi,

Is there any Bull Bar currently being offered that I could purchase and install without having to permanently remove my skid plate and tow hooks?
Fred, yeah one of the other guys from the site turned me onto these Bull Bars at this site: www.popularlink.com

They come in black powder coat and polished SS. As far as I've been able to find, they're the only Bull Bars that allow you to keep your tow hooks after you mount them, which is why I'm probably going to buy them as well.

BTW... I just checked the site and noticed they're currently on sale for 50% off (selling for $219 for the SS, and $169 for the black powder coat) with free shipping included, so hell yes, I'm buying them right now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi RunItHard,

Can you still keep the factory installed skid plate? I have checked the Bull Bar out, but just need to know if it will work with the skid plate remaining on.

Thanks for replying,

FredSG

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hi RunItHard,

Can you still keep the factory installed skid plate? I have checked the Bull Bar out, but just need to know if it will work with the skid plate remaining on.

Thanks for replying,

FredSG
I believe so but can't swear to it. One of the other guys has already bought and installed them, and from the pics he posted I believe he still had his skid plate too.

The mount goes straight to where the tow hooks are located. You take your tow hooks off, install the Bull Bars, and re-install the hooks over the brackets, so I don't see why you wouldn't still retain your skid plate.

Go do a search under "Bull Bars" on this site and look for my original post. You should find the guy in New York named "Marinetech" who installed them and posted pics in my thread.

I've already sent him a PM to see if he knows if you can keep the factory skid plate, and I'll let you know in a follow-up post when I hear something. I'm interested to find out myself.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hi RunItHard,

Thanks for replying,

FredSG
Fred,

Looks like you can keep the stock skid plate. Here's Marinetech's PM reply:

"Yes you can use trd skid plate, I do have the package. No modification is needed. Overall I am happy with this bar but Im only using it for parking lot protection. I dont know how well it would hold up for serious offroading. I think the gauge steel is a little thinner than what westin and others are using, which would explain the cost difference but it still feels pretty solid. I do like the styling alot. No one up here in Northeast has anything like it and all the others seem to look the same with the skid plate attached."

·
Registered
155 Posts
Fred, yeah one of the other guys from the site turned me onto these Bull Bars at this site: www.popularlink.com

They come in black powder coat and polished SS. As far as I've been able to find, they're the only Bull Bars that allow you to keep your tow hooks after you mount them, which is why I'm probably going to buy them as well.

BTW... I just checked the site and noticed they're currently on sale for 50% off (selling for $219 for the SS, and $169 for the black powder coat) with free shipping included, so hell yes, I'm buying them right now.
Damn you for providing me with another thing to buy!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts